Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handheld VHF radio transmission range

Options
  • 24-01-2022 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭

Hi all

What sort of range would you expect to transmit and receive distinct messages using a heldheld VHF radio? In this case an ICOM-M91D?

When I carry out radio check's on Lough Ree, I get the reply "message indistinct" and I'm just wondering what range is expected on these handheld VHF radio's?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you are running it at 5 Watts anywhere between 3-8 miles the higher up the antenna the better you can also add an external antenna that should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I have an Icom IC-M25 and when I cross Dublin Bay I’d usually call Dublin VTS on the handheld, and just having a quick look there, I’d be typically in or around 5nm from the VTS station. Though there’d be a fairly good line of sight into the River Liffey where they are based….

I brought the VHF down to the Shannon for a week 18 months ago and went from Carrick-on-Shannon all the way down as far as Mountshannon and back up, and barely heard a peep on ch16 for the entire week….. (think I heard 1 Coast Guard/RNLI chat just outside Athlone heading north).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

For chit chat on the Ree we use channel 62 and I think 61 on the Derg, the new lifeboat station at Coosan point should be up and running this year so you have no problem testing your signal with them also if you see me out and about on the Ree feel free to give me a shout you will normally find me up around marker 5😀

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Oops, we've been using Ch 8 on Lough Derg for chatting. In fact we use Ch 8 everywhere we go.

Advertisement