Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing ex husband name off house deeds

Options
  • 24-01-2022 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My husband and I live in Northern Ireland. 10 yrs ago we bought my old family home in Carlow off my brother in joint names. There is no mortgage on the property. We are now divorcing (amicably) in the North and part of our financial agreement is that his name be removed from the deeds and placed solely in my name. How do we do this? With Covid I've been unable travel down to speak to a solicitor. Thank you 🙂

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There are legal implications and there are tax implications.

However, with no mortgage, this is a lot simpler.

The bottom line is you will need to be advised by a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup. You're not "getting your ex-husband's name off the house deeds"; you are transferring a half-share in the house from your ex to yourself. This is a valuable asset and you do not want to stuff this up. Get proper professional advice. If possible, see that your ex does too; you don't want the possibility down the road that someone might cahllenge the transfer on the grounds that your ex was not properly advised and did not grasp the importance of what he was doing.

I appreciate that with Covid restrictions it has been difficult to consult and instruct solicitors; hopefully that will be easier now. And you can certainly start the ball rolling with a telephone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Solicitors can and do use Zoom etc.

Advertisement