Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File under badly handled or other?

Options
  • 25-01-2022 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Long story short hopefully, work for a large food retailer and myself and 2 colleagues applied and were interviewed for a position end of November. This would have been a step up for all 3 of us.

Advised outcome would be told to us within a two week period.

Roll on 8 weeks later, nothing said so I chased with store manager. Another reason for chasing was rumours of the position having been given to a person already in that role in a different dept but just a change of dept for her.

Denial that position had been allocated, rubbished as rumour mill and chinese whispers etc but told that all 3 of us hadnt been present on the premises due to shift differences, illness, Christmas time off and had to be to be told the outcome of the interview but that we would be told shortly,

So today all 3 of us are present, one of which has now sourced a new job and is leaving anyway, so only the remaining 2 of us are called up to the office to find out how we did.

So apparently none of the 3 of us gave the answers they were looking for when they interviewed us, it was obvious we hadnt had an interview for some time etc. Fair enough if we werent good enough so be it but it was then confirmed that the rumours in fact were true. The position had been given to the other person who didnt apply for it, she had been told of this before we had been told we werent successful in our interviews and word had gotten out and was fact.

Do I have the right to think this was handled very badly, is it even allowed to be done this way or can they do as they want. I think Im more disappointed that the manager could lie and be so believable and now I dont feel I can trust a word he says whereas before Id have taken him at his word.

I dont even know what im asking, guess it has all left a bad taste in my mouth

Comments

badly handled for sure, lick yr wounds for a while before making any big decisions either way tho- we all need a little time after getting the wrong end of a process like this but it's seldom worth chasing up satisfaction

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Badly handled.

Totally legal though, unless you're working in a government agency, or have been discriminated against due to age, sex, ethnicity etc.

Sometimes managers have to lie. It's actually part of their job.

Good luck with the job-hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Badly handled IMO.

They should have stuck with the process timeline that was originally stated, and gave you the notice that you were unsuccessful this time but here's some constructive feedback to improve for next time out.

The 'chinese whispers' element of this is somewhat understandable as at that stage, having exhausted internal interviews, management needed to find someone to fill the position and could well have been in the negotiation stage with the new candidate.

It might be worthwhile considering some available training to fill in whatever gaps the interview panel thought you had - or appropriate training to find a new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They basically can do what they like.

But consider moving laterally away from that manager. They don't have your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

i find internal promotions are generally badly handled in every sector in ireland

often you know in advance who is getting it but the everybody goes through the charade of pretending it's an open role.

and very commonly , no decision is made for months...dragging the thing out - like your situation

• Advertisement
Advertisement