Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress purchased over the phone

• 25-01-2022 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought and paid for a mattress over the phone from an Irish retailer. It was delivered on the 7th of a January and I have been using it since. Over the last 5 days it started to become very uncomfortable to the point where I am thinking that it's faulty.

I owned the exact same mattress before and I loved it hence I bought it again. This one goes down so much after few hours of sleeping on it that I feel the hard surface (metal parts) against my body.

I checked the return policy of this retailer this morning and they state that no return is accepted for mattresses for hygiene reasons. Do I have the right to return this mattress under the distance selling code and ask for a refund? Do I have any recourse at all? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Surely you're issue is covered by the mattresses guarantee rater than the act you quoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Maybe a different filling than your previous one and it should be padded so you dont feel the springs.

Alot of stuff is not returnable due to health and safety but should carry a 1 year warranty and if its not as advertised as a mattress is supposed to be comfy.

I would imagine sale of goods act will cover you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It's past two weeks and you have used it. You do not have any rights under distance selling regulations at this point.

Have you tried turning it around or flipping it over and see if that helps.

If you can show a fault you can look for remedy under normal sales regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

I turned it the last few days but alas the issue is the same.

I will get in touch with them today and will update this thread in case it can help someone else in future.

Needless to say that I learnt my lesson and going forward I will only pick retailers that allow a trial period of their mattresses and a hassle free return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I'd recommend purchasing a mattress topper - I got an extra 5 years out of a mattress with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You need to determine if its faulty or just something that you don't like, the fact you had one previously would indicate faulty, but maybe they have changed the item.

If its faulty then distance selling etc don't come into it.

If you just don't like it then you are reliant on the goodwill of the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you can feel the metal part, it is not fit for purpose and you should return it. Their terms do not trump your consumer rights.

Advertisement