Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin to Coros

• 25-01-2022 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Anyone successfully moved from Garmin to Coros?

I have my current Garmin (FR245) just under 3 years and the battery is gone to sh*t, I'm having to charge it every day. Exact same happened with the 235 after a couple of years. Thinking of trying the Coros Apex Pro which is a similar price point to the FR245 (circa €300) but the battery life is supposed to be far superior. Just wondering if anyone else made the switch between brands and how they found the user experience with the Coros.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭racersedge

I moved over late last year to the Coros Pace 2. Some minor teething problems aside, it’s going grand so far. What intrigued me was the power meter in it, and upon reading DC Rainmakers review how it seemed to have similar output to the Stryd.

Some teething problems. For example, I didn’t have my height set right (left at default) as I had one or two issues getting it connected to the app. This mean that while I had selected running in Km/min, my pace figures showed up in miles. Stranger still was when I put in miles/min, it showed me slower again! The Coros helpdesk suggested checking the height and once that was done. It was grand!

Battery life has been great. I’m running longer now a week and still find I could get two weeks out of a charge. I find the app info easy enough to read. Like Garmin, it gives you an estimated score on how your doing based off their equations of how hard you run and how long until you can ‘train hard’. As with any device, I do take them with a pinch of salt. They have only recently launched their website based training area, whereas when I got it in September it was all based on the app. So handy if for some reason it hasn’t synced properly to Strava etc. It can on occasion be a little sluggish at uploading to the app, especially if your used to Garmin practically having it up within seconds of you finishing your run!

One thing I do want to look into is it’s barometer readings. I have Strava and Runanlyze both telling me consistently that the elevation profiles of my runs are wrong and opportunity to correct it. It’s not something that is make or break for what I’m doing but something I’d like to get into.

It felt weird leaving Garmin. Especially as up until recently my daily watch was a Vivoactive to keep within the one ecosystem. I was really tempted by the first few weeks to copy all my runs onto Garmin Connect in case I decided to go back! 🤣

Almost what, five months now. I’m happy with the watch. To get the same kind of functions on a Garmin would have cost a lot more than the €200 I spent on the Pace 2. If I ever start doing multi sport stuff, it has me covered. I like been able to track the power stuff (albeit still very much a beginner at all that) and again, the cost of a Stryd and such would be costly enough. Most importantly, it tracks the runs well, it doesn’t feel chunky on the arm and is comfy to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks @racersedge for the comprehensive reply. I've been wearing a Garmin FR as my everyday watch for close to 8 years now (FR10, FR235, FR245) so switching over is something I am a bit anxious about. But I feel like I will get much more bang for my buck with Coros and I'm sick of the battery life on the Garmin's only lasting 2 and a bit years (maybe I have been unlucky 😏).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 qba73

Moved to Corps Apex Pro. Best decision ever. Light, battery life is superb, the app is really good.

Advertisement