Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ownership of my vehicle has changed- but I haven't sold it?!

Options
  • 25-01-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

I'm incredibly confused and looking to see if anyone might be able make heads or tails out of this situation.

I bought a vehicle in dec 2020- previous owner did not change ownership or send on log book so we had to register change of ownership with the tax office. This was completed in June 2021 and we received the log book in my name. I recently went online to pay tax and was unable to do so as it recognized none of my details. I have been on to my local motor tax office who have said the ownership of the vehicle changed again in sept 2021 so it is no longer in my name. I queried this with the department of transport office in Shannon and they confirmed this. How could the ownership of my vehicle have changed if I have 1) not sold the car 2) not requested a change in ownership.

They now want me to fill in another change of ownership form back to me which I think is ridiculous since I have no idea how someone else has supposedly became the owner of my car. so confused about how this could happen , has anyone experienced anything similar and got to the bottom of it?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would suggest that the ownership was changed using the original missing document.

as for the ‘why’ I have no idea.

Will this essentially have added 2 owners to the car, or are they sorting that out for you?

Let the new owner pay the tax, then change it back

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The OP is the owner though, something weird is going on, whether the car has been cloned, transferred into a garage in error, or the previous owner is acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have you put it through an NCT yet or checked the vin against your docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’d be down to the Garda Station asking them check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a chance the vehicle has been cloned? 2 vehicles running from the same ownership document? How old is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Have you taxed the car previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭beachhead

Cloning makes sense - 2 cars "similar" on tge road.But won't fines etc go the "new" owner until the existing owner reverts it back.Gardai should be looking into it.Seems like it's just paperwork for Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Get a coupe ofparking fines and don't pay them. It will soon sorted itself out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Could have been a typo with the tax office and the wrong car changed.

It happens occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sarahbeth1000

I have taxed the car previously, just before the ownership apparently had changed but not due NCT until next month. Vin matches my documents and a garage had to sign off on my previous change of ownership form since the previous owner never put it through. Good idea re going to the guards, I have instinctively been avoiding them because tax hasn't been paid the last month due to this issue...they just wont take my money ! New to Ireland so not sure how all that will go down but I'm sure It's worth a shot.

Advertisement