Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a clown

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In general, guys at home etc, of course I agree. But in a similar situation to the OP I'm not sure I do agree. Would be situational.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

It's the 'and that if he'd had any more ammo on him they would have shot him' part that I find a bit far fetched moreso than the getting lost part. Fair enough, if he was still shooting when the ARU arrived, they might have shot him but that's not what happened. How could anyone know if he had any more ammo until he was arrested and searched?

He surrendered only when he ran out of ammo. If he had more ammo, he doesn’t surrender at that point.

So he’s still active when armed response turns up. Pretty straightforward, nothing to do with mind-reading his ammo count. If he didn’t surrender when he ran out. Same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

How could they get lost going to Donegal town ? Even if nobody had a clue how to get there they would still have Google maps on their phones. They might have been delayed alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

The calibre of rifle makes no difference whatsoever; a 22RF will kill just as efficiently and as quickly as a 7.62 nato round if used correctly.

In press/media reports “high power”, similar to “bullets” is a go to metaphor for those who are not knowledgeable enough in writing articles and who don’t know what the word “research” means.

(Bullets in press reports, meh…. Give me patience, I’m getting old or have OCD/CDO, whatever, truthfully, it’s probably both).

Anyhow, “High Power” is subjective at best, no set definition but generally accepted as cartridges producing 2,000+ ft lbs of energy, IMHO it largely depends on one’s own experience with firearms.

RF is considered by most as low power, in military circles high power would be 30 calibre + (7.62, 303, 308, 338, …...), anything in between is medium.

Then again, some in between calibres are punchy rounds, all said it’s subjective at best.

As I said, I did buy the got lost part. It's a straight road, they are presumable local.

It's much more likely that there was a few minutes before the Guards were called. Then a few minutes to relay the info to the other station. The armed unit may or may not have been on duty (article isn't clear on type of unit), plus the drive time is close to an hour. So really hard for them to get there unless guy goes on an extended rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Did his legal team argue that his rifle wasn't high powered, as a mitigating factor in his defence?

Advertisement