Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maestro [Netflix, Bradley Cooper]

Options
  • 26-01-2022 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭

Maestro will finally start filming this May. Netflix’s “Maestro” marks Bradley Cooper’s first directorial effort since the success of his feature debut, “A Star Is Born.” Cooper also stars in “Maestro” as esteemed Broadway composer Leonard Bernstein, with Carey Mulligan on board to play Bernstein’s wife, Felicia Montealegre.

Spielberg was hoovering around to direct a biopic but Cooper is producing, writing and directing now

The Alias actor has come along way

Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Matt Bomer in talks to play a lover

I assume it will also get a limited cinema release for awards qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jewface

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched the trailer before even being aware there was a controversy. Film itself looks potentially interesting given Cooper's behind it, though I'd be first to admit I know nothing of Bernstein's work.

So of course Bernstein's own children weighed in ... and have come out swinging, effectively telling online whiners to STFU; the man had a big nose, get over it.

Of course it won't stop, cos as ever American liberals can't resist ripping each other to shreds rather than focus on things that matter.

It happens to be true that Leonard Bernstein had a nice, big nose. Bradley chose to use makeup to amplify his resemblance, and we’re perfectly fine with that. We’re also certain that our dad would have been fine with it as well

Any stridents complaints around this issue strike us above all as disingenuous attempts to bring a successful person down a notch - a practice we observed all too often perpetrated on our own father

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

A gay Jew biopic - gottabe a shoo in for a half dozen+ gongs come March time 😉

how many oscars will Bradley get?..... me prediction: none: 11/8 , at least one: 4/9 , more'n one: 9/5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And now the Anti Defamation League has come out saying the nose isn't antisemitic, STFU internet people. Looks like attempts to stir trouble have been well and truly shot down by those who are best to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure the best part is the gobshítes whining about not casting an actual jew would have been livid if a straight person was cast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Full trailer is up. With Mahler at full tilt.

Nothing like a bit of classical music to really stir the senses. Looks like this will shift its visuals through the eras, lots of playing about with colour, aspect ratio and whatnot. Interesting.

• Advertisement

This dropped this morning: seen a few reviews that marked it out as being a refreshing break from the usual set of Biopic Movie tropes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, it's an alright film that would be better if it had shaken off some more biopic movie tropes. Like a lot of films of its ilk, it is so concerned with the relationship study that it ends up flying through time, and in the process doesn't really get to the heart of Montalegre or Bernstein as great artists.

Mulligan is great as always, Cooper has interesting directorial instincts and can frame a scene, and the one extended sequences where it focuses on Bernstein and his sheer joy in conducting is undoubtedly a highlight of the film. Sight & Sound put it well: "Maestro is all about the singer, and not enough about the song."

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Falls into one of the films, where the lead performance is far super to the film as a whole. And even Cooper's performance is verging into a "great impression".

Don't know much about Bernstein the artist having watched it.

Advertisement