Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving disqualification

Options
  • 26-01-2022 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have received different answers to this question, so need help please.

When does a driving ban start when handed down by the court??

Post edited by Hanos67 on
    Tagged:

Answers

As far as I am aware, immediately, unless your solicitor has looked for a variation in the date. You have 10 or 14 days to surrender your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hanos67

Thank you, I have been told it only begins when the NDLS receive your licence, but that does not make sense to me, unless I am missing where it states that somewhere in law..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The answers given are incorrect, the ban comes into place on the 15th day after the disqualification order is made, unless there is an appeal made within 14 days in which case the disqualification is postponed pending the appeal.

The exception being for a special disqualification order which comes into effect immediately.

Post edited by GM228 on

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

An order on foot of an application by AGS to disqualify a driver by reason of a physical disease, physical or mental disability or incompetence which impairs their driving ability, they are rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Sometimes utilised in the case of an elderly person who simply no longer has the capacity to drive.

Would tend to follow a collision or other incident, and are often granted with the consent of the affected party who otherwise may be facing prosecution.

Advertisement