Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISORA crew?

Options
  • 26-01-2022 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I've crewed on a good few inshore races now and would consider myself reasonably competent! Actually it was through this forum that I got to crew on some of the boats so many thanks for that.

I would love to try an ISORA. Is it easy to get a crew berth? 

I had mailed the organisers last year (or maybe even the year before!!) before the season started and in fairness they replied promptly and told me they intended to have an event to set potential crew up with skippers. However I guess COVID put a stop to all of that, like everything else!

I might drop them another mail, but in the meantime I would appreciate any insight anyone might have. I live inland and so am a bit out of the loop!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are you on FB? ISORA have a fairly active FB page https://www.facebook.com/IrishSeaOffshoreRacingAssociation, you could try posting a message there.

I haven't heard of any crew-matching events this year (so far anyway), but you could either post, or DM the page (I'm not sure who actually runs the page, so I won't name names here) - or maybe email again - or both!

It can be hard to get a foot in the door, but if you can get on one race and actually meet people face to face it gets a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Van Doozy

Thanks Heidi - I appreciate the response. I didn't think of FB as I don't use it much, I might check that out. And I'll drop them a mail again - no harm. 

I know exactly what you mean about actually meeting the people, once you have a chat and get on their roster/ whatsapp group it gets a lot easier!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'd say a huuuuge plus this season will (hopefully) be the return of the social side of racing, particularly club racing, so sticking with that could potentially open some doors when you rub shoulders with the right people after a race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ISORA 2022 schedule is online.

Other option would be to email a resume to secretary@isora.org and ask if they have a crew pool.

Advertisement