Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic HD channels on eir TV

• 26-01-2022 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Eir TV advertise that the basic TV channels include the main stations in HD (i.e. RTE1, RTE2, Virgin One, TG4...)

However, I query are these the actual HD source signals from those broadcasters.

Looking at RTE and Virgin, these channels do not appear HD on my Eir TV app compared to the quality I was used to from my previous provider (Virgin) and more importantly, they don't have the HD watermark in the corner (that was previously there on Virgin to distinguish the HD from SD channels).

I phoned eir who insisted that I was viewing HD channels and the Apple 4k box can only deliver a 4k signal. (That doesn't make everything HD, but no point barking up that tree.)

Does anyone have any experience of this or am I losing the plot? Shouldn't the HD channels at least have the HD branding/watermark/stamp like used to be shown on Virgin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The dog on the top left of the screen for the RTE channels and Virgin channels has had the HD part removed with a couple of weeks now, at least on Sky anyway. When they took away the Covid stay at home on screen message etc, they removed the letters HD also. Pictures are still in HD quality though, there would be uproar if they went back to standard definition. I assume Eir tv is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 conorking

Ok - thanks.

I was watching some of the live programs on RTE and Virgin (news or something) and was underwhelmed at the video quality, and also noticed the HD badge (which I remembered from watching on Virgin) was also not present, so I concluded that these were the non-HD channels.

Perhaps I'm also getting used to 4k on Netflix etc, so the "normal HD" is less impressive.

Thanks for your input.

Case closed.

Advertisement