Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGE applied a DD for a balance of 20c

• 26-01-2022 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭

On November 9th 2021, Bord Gais sent me a routine bill for electricity and six days later, they took the money via DD from my bank account. Eight days later, they mistakenly debited me again for the same amount. Did they credit the money back to me? Nope, it stayed on my account as a credit balance.

Before you ask, this has nothing to do with gas, I can see both DDs listed on my online BGE electric account and the credit balance for that amount was sitting there in the electric account since late November.

This month (Jan 2022), my electricity bill was 20c (twenty cents) above the credit balance. Did they leave the 20c as a debit balance, to be settled with the next bill? They did no such thing, they applied a 20c DD to my bank account!

End of rant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

These companies aren't run by normal humans who can make intelligent decisions. Instead by accountants, bean counters, protocols and automated billing etc.

If you had a choice, you could ditch them but generally they have you over a barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd say its not even accountants. Its most likely an automated DD. Once the balance is more than 1 c for them they go looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

True, but who specifies what the 'automated DD' should do??? Accountants and bean counters.

Do you have free banking or will there be a charge on your account for the two DD’s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If you asked, they would have credited the amount.

As for DD, it's automatic. They don't set parameters and it would be extremely rare for a 20c balance.

I have some trade customers on a DD. It simply applies for the amount in a specific field on 25th of each month. The calculation for that field is the sum of transactions for the period, less payments.

Doesn't matter whether the balance is 10c or €5000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would have been more surprised if they didn't take the 20c, these systems are entirely automated, no bean counter cares about 20c or even thought about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

They take the 20c so that their other systems don't tell them they have an unpaid amount. Would the OP rather have them come looking for overdue amounts and damage their ratings for other providers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If your bank charges you per DD, you could get on to them to refund/credit you the cost of the 3rd DD that was made as a result of their mistake. Obviously petty but....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

who do you think a supplier should pay your bank charges? he owed a debt, and they took the payment method provided by the OP for the amount owed. nothing amiss here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭MacDanger

According to the OP:

Eight days later, they mistakenly debited me again for the same amount. 

So as a result of their mistake, 3 * DDs were taken instead of 2. IMO, since it was their mistake, they should have to pay for the extra DD assuming that it came with a bank charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement