Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Masters 2022 - Eurosport 2

Options
  • 26-01-2022 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen a thread on this yet so said I'd go and post one.

Missing some big names, Ronnie and Higgins failed to qualify.

Good start today for Brecel, Zhou, Wilson, Xington and Trump all going through to the next round.

Comments

A shame this ref (don't know her name) doesn't get more TV time, like Desi and Mrs Woolaston.. always does a grand refereeing job imo..

Good opener there from Ricky in frame 1, to give him another bite at cherry..

Meike Kessler... that's her, the referee 😊

Ricky needs a hand from Robbo again.... gets another bite at cherry and looking good here in frame three... looks like 2-1 to Walden,, he'll need this lead, as Neil will surely improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just found this on Eurosport.... after completely binging on the Shootout, it's bizarre watching them play normal (slooooowwww) snooker again!

I didn't even realise I had Eurosport until about 2 weeks ago, between this and the tennis I'm gone square-eyed since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Great win for Ricky Walden tonight.

Didn't see much of this tournament before. It's a big venue, remind you of the old Wembley Conference Centre. So they squeeze 4 tables in there, including one at a right angle to the tv table.

It'd be a tournament I wouldn't mind travelling to some day. To see how the Germans do it and get a trip away in at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I see Ken is playing this afternoon. It was a good achievement for him to qualify as there were only 32 players in the event. How many matches did he win to qualify?

• Advertisement

This "getting to know you" with Shaun Murphy is ruddy months old - if not over a year .. for shame Eurosport 😒 😄

You'd win 2 matches. Last 128 and last 64.

Eurosport coverage is fairly skeleton for this one.

Massive plot twist here in frame 8 between Murf and Maf.. All Kurt needed was the blue... And now he is blue... 4-4 looked a certainty, and now 5-3 Murphy win is odds on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As an aside, hit a ball for the first time in almost 2 years on Sunday due to the lifting of covid restrictions. My cueing arm felt it was going around in wobbly circles rather than anything that resembled a straight line. Yikes.

Lucky you - at least you get to smash them around a bit😊 Never played snooker really, but I haven't even had a game of pool in years.. 😴 Every some place getting rid of tables.. even the local 'bowlarama' seems to be closed up - was a few pool tables there 😓

• Advertisement

Yan taking them nicely here, in what looked an unlikely decider, a few frames back,,

Mon Yan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Where does this popularity for snooker come from in Germany? Has there ever been a professional German snooker player? Yet look that huge arena. Great attendance and the Germans loving it.

Lucas Kleckers the only one I'm familiar with... On telly a few times, but only a journeyman really... never been in top 64..

Xintong has a handy 2-0 lead here.. Looked short odds to win the last frame about 10mins ago, but then let Trump in... Didn't do enough though, and Zhao eventually limped over the line...

This Bingtao v Day feed is so bare, looks like some kind of primitive computer game.

Yeah was wondering the same myself. Never been a country I'd associate in any way with Snooker, till now. Very good for the sport though.

Trump trailing Zhao 3 frames to 1. Trump looking a bit flat.

Hard to see Trump making a comeback now the way he's playing. I'd prefer Zhao finish this off quickly than having it drag out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

On the verge of being knocked out now.

Well that was a terrible by Trump to leave that red on from a safety. Looks mentally gone.

And he does finish it off quickly, Trump out.

I think they're getting a little carried away with Xhao, yeah he has lots of talent but it remains to be seen how good he really is, or how much he'll go on to win, saying things like the emergence of a new superstar is a bit premature imo.

• Advertisement

Well I haven't seen that much of him myself, but I really like the way he plays so fluidly and with confidence. Good sign anyway.

Trump's demeanour in that match was a worry I feel. He looked so intense sat there in this chair. Like he can't handle playing anything other than his A game. Always thought that about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

He’s supremely confident, of course. He said recently that he’s ‘quite clearly’ been the best player over the last two years. It must frustrate him terribly that he’s only won a single World Championship and Masters since his UK Championship win ten years ago.

I didn't hear he said that. One shouldn't brag.

I think his attitude of 'taking the game to a new level' never did him any good. He never did anyway. Some 'hot shot's' yes but they only get you so far.

I'm watching the Selby Bigtao decider, which I know is a replay but don't know the result so I'll pretend it's live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mrunsure

Possibly as a result of comprehensive Eurosport coverage over the last 15-20 years. I'm sure I've heard Dave Hendon say that on his podcast, but he might be a bit biased.

Yeah that was a but unlucky of Selby to pot the red off the blue but at the same time he completely miss hit it as he intended to go into the pack but ended up potting the red directly. Don't know why either of the commentators didn't mentioned that.

And that was a very good clearance by Bigtao after making a couple of positional mistakes but still finished it off despite those. I thought McManus in commentary was a bit hard on him for those mistakes.

Yes it'll be thanks to Eurosport coverage. The Tempodrome has been a vibrant part of the tour for a few years now.

Also parts of Germany may have had the BBC coverage before Eurosport, certainly Belgium and Holland were following British coverage back in the 80s snooker boom.

Yeah he has bags of talent and potential don't get me wrong.

I like McManus but he does talk a little bit of nonsense at times. Allen missing that green shut him up.

You'd miss the shítetalk in the studio between sessions/during mid-interval breaks..

Makes it more of a show when Jimmy & Rachel are in the studio, along with 1 or 2 of Fouldsy/McManus/Ronnie... Will leave Reanne out of the reckoning 😋

• Advertisement

Yeah, even if they didn't travel to Germany. Suppose we have more than enough coverage though where you want it. Can't complain too much.

Advertisement