Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappearing Foxes

Options
  • 26-01-2022 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have been feeding a Fox, probably a Vixen, for around 6 months. She always turns up at around the same time every day & recently she's been bringing her shy boyfriend. Now she's disappeared & he has too. Could she be giving birth or is there another possible reason ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Typical. Twenty minutes after posting this she turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I wouldn't think she would be giving birth yet, thats generally March/April in rural area's anyhow.

But it might vary more with well fed city/town Foxes,so it may be they are busy den building.

How long are they missing? if it's only days I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we had loads of foxes around until a few months back, but they all seemed to disappear maybe around september. we're near DCU, so very suburban, but would often see a few foxes playing in the front garden, and had them as frequent visitors to the back garden. now we see a fox maybe once every few weeks at most.

I wondered because I had hear that, due to milder winters, they are breeding earlier. I am in a rural spot & luckily no one minds having foxes around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

One of the best points of our new house is that a fox regularly roams through our back garden. Kids are delighted

Mine started like that. Every day I would hang a chicken drumstick from a tree so that the fox could reach it. Cue lots of fun as the fox is tugging on the chicken.

I always made sure that she got it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A visitor to my garden this evening.

I thought 3 frankfurters was enough. The photos were taken from the kitchen window. Not at all perturbed by the thump of frankfurters landing nearby or the sight of me taking photos out the window. One of the cats was perched on the windowsill but wasn't perturbed enough to want to come in.

While my editing of the photos makes it appear quite bright, it was actually quite dim, hence the blurring of movement due to the long shutter speed necessary and the fox moving during the longish exposure.

Advertisement