Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencer on 22 rifle - FCA1

Options
  • 26-01-2022 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, first time post here.

Need some help with the FCA1. Unsure of the wording for the FCA1 when applying for a moderator/suppressor/silencer.

Just recently joined a range. Will be starting off with my dad's riffle, which is licensed with a moderator.

In section 4.2 "Explain why this... is required". What do I write for the moderator? I know it's to protect hearing , but how is this best worded?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.

Section 4.2 is the reason why you want the firearm, not the suppressor. While you technically don't need to provide the reasons for the suppressor as simply ticking the box "silencer" in section 3.2 covers you, most do, on a separate sheet of paper, so as to "hurry" the application.

For the suppressor I'd include such reasons as they apply to you, for example:

1. To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
    2. To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
    3. Unsafe practice of wearing hearing protection while stalking / hunting
    4. Protection of personal hearing
    5. Improved accuracy through reduced recoil, therefore aiding with the humane/quick dispatch of prey.
    6. Ideal for vermin control.

As for the good reasons for the firearm. Only you can list those but simply list the reasons you are applying for it. Such as hunting, target shooting, vermin control or some combination of all three. Whatever is applicable to you.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aWant4aNew

Couldn’t ask for a better response than this one here!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

I basically copied and pasted Cass' answer when I was applying and it worked for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

i did the very same just added in shooting in the vicinity of bloodstock/livestock in foal/calf may cause miscarriage etc. its the perfect answer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I've never had to add any info regarding getting a mod for any of my firearms. Just ticked the relevant box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You can also add the following ;

EU directive 2006 and Noise abatement act 2006 on noise abatement at the source.

Basically, you must do everything possible to reduce noise at its source if it is going to be a nuisance to others. This applies especially if you are in a "working environment",[which isn't really well defined,so if say you were culling rabbits or foxes for a farmer,is this a working environment?] The use ear defenders excuse used by some Supers is also nullified by this act and directive.As it states that using ear protection is the "no other option available" final choice.

Also, one that can apply to some situations is the terrain. One place I hunt is a natural shooting range, but it has a severe echo problem. One-shot sounds like three echoing about the valley and is likely to spook any cattle or horses owned by the farmers.So a silencer is a requirement to hunt there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Friend of mine bought a rifle lately and we submitted the relevant paperwork for a suppressor with a lot of the above reasons he was granted the licence for the rifle but when the licence came never had the “S” printed on it. Its frustrating that your not told or given a reason why there not granting it and have to go back I suppose fighting to get one again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ring. In a lot of cases when there is no "S" on the license its a simple case of the relevant "button" not being pushed when requesting the license be printed. I even had an FO tell me its not needed (the "S") once its granted, and another said it'll be on PULSE even if its not on the license. I told him regarding the second point he made (it'd still be on PULSE) that if its not on the license it won't on PULSE. He checked it with me on the phone and said, surprised, that it wasn't. So he checked the authorised box, requested a reprint of the license and out it came a few days later with the "S".

The other aspect is if the supressor was refused, as its classed as a firearm in itself, it must be accompanied by a letter of refusal. Again a phone call to ask for this letter can, not always, spur any "phantom" refusal (a refusal with no letter and you're basically left in Limbo) into becoming an authorisation.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Sound for that I will get my buddy to ring the FO and check it out👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rescueme0007

Ace86, The Garda Commissioner's Guidelines as to the Practical Application and Operation of the Firearms Acts, 1925-2009 details at page 13 the requirement that a "Reasoned Decision" must be be provided by "the issuing person" to the applicant to permit the applicant to initiate an Appeal in the District Court. It follows that if a request is not granted at the time of application, yet a reasoned decision is not provided the likelihood is that its an "admin error".

I currently find myself in such a situation and will be following up with the appropriate AGS personnel this week, when they're next on shift. I'll let you know how I get on if you wish?🙂

• Advertisement
Advertisement