Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan women are selling their kidneys

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I wonder is this story somewhat exaggerated. I find it hard to believe that so many people in the one village are selling their kidneys.

Apologies, I've very sceptical of stuff I read on the internet, especially when I see the word 'Report'. Sure didn't a 'Report' say that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've lived in Afghanistan and in my experience, I have found Afghans to be a fine friendly hospitable people, with a great sense of humor. But if you wanted a modern time machine, you would find it in Afghanistan. While it has modernized incredibly under the US, once you leave the cities, and travel in the countryside and mountains, life continues as it has for century's. You have the clan system in operation, where one clan controls a particular region, and ( unfortunately ) it has regions which produces high quality drugs, that are in much demand world wide, generating wealth which only benefit's the cartel 's and war lords. The opposite side of the coin is that it has been plagued throughout its history with Famines ( like the present one ) which in the last 20 years, were well managed, and the death toll reduced. Match this with poor education possibilities, and you have a system and conditions where the worst possible people take control. And now is the worst case scenario, with the Taliban using a ruthless version of Islam to control people, it will quickly revert to what it was before the US came. The only real solution to Afghanistan's problems will have to come from Afghans themselves, and only time and education ( especially education) will do that.

I've seen similar reports about very poor/backward villages in China... and I'd well believe it could happen. Why not in Afghanistan?

When it comes to things like this in extremely poor regions, I tend to believe them. The world can be a very harsh place. I seem to remember some kind of scandal in the US during the 90s about organ transplants coming from S.America? Taking advantage of poor people so that rich people could bypass the waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is if the Taliban again clamp down on the availability of education.

Of course, this has always been the problem for the Taliban. Education and a knowledgeable population has been their biggest fear. But there's a different set of dynamics at play now (hopefully) 20 years of education has to have had left its mark. I remember when it was a serious offence to take a photo, ( you were in effect, creating an image of a man / woman, and that image had a right to its own soul.....I know, I know . But I got caught taking a pic of a truck, and I was warned in no uncertain terms not to do it again....as there could be something alive in the pic, and that was forbidden ) But when the Taliban came back , there were loads of them taking pics on their mobiles. We have to wait and see how it goes. But no money should be given directly to the Taliban. ( unless of course they change their attitudes to women, education etc.) Instead, let selected agency's in and do assessments, make plans and oversee their implementation, ( and I'm not talking about US or any other country's professional "contractors" either. ) Let the local Afghans do it in their own areas, but supervised. It will work that way, I think. Question is will the Taliban allow it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is not in their interests to allow it. As you say they rely on ignorance

Yes that's the burning question. But History has taught that a hungry starving population is more than capable of revolting against the system. So between ISIS K now pushing them on one side ( using their own tactics....) and an increasingly disgruntled population who have experienced a different life on the other hand. ...its very open handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Exactly, that's their culture. Let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

About 25 years ago it was widely reported that Afghans were selling human bones to make a living...

Tbh, I'd imagine most people here would consider selling a kidney if the price was right....

It's a bit of a non story really...

Well the die is cast now, so its wait and see how it will play out this time with the Taliban. Mineral wise, Afghanistan is incredibly wealthy, and the Chinese are well established there, but with contracts written by the previous administration, so that could go either way, If the Taliban ( isisK ) decide to go all out support of their Muslim Brothers, the Uyghurs' in China, that could be a big problem for the Chinese. But, money talks all languages. So its wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Soviets failed, Americans failed. Time to give China 20 years and see if they can do anything?

Would be interesting all right...its not for nothing that its known as the Grave Yard of Empires. A lot of the reason that Afghanistan is in its present ( and past state ) is that it's a patchwork quilt of different clans, and the failure to unite themselves for a single course of action has always been their own worst enemy. The main exemption to this would be a war against the invaders, any invaders. Differences will be forgotten ( or at last postponed ) and they will unite against the common enemy, as they have always done. So will China be different? Time will tell....

China isn't there to change anything. Afghanistan is for resources... that's it... and the Chinese sense of self superiority means that it won't go beyond that. A possible gesture towards reining in Islamic fundamentalist or terrorist groups, but just as with Russia and the US, they're there to take advantage of the region.

Yes, and if they confine their interests to that, it should work. Biggest mistake they could make would be to try to control all or even large parts of Afghanistan, given recent history. However, the Taliban now have a new enemy, isis K who are fast becoming a thorn in the Taliban's side. They claim ( as usual ) that the Taliban are not real Muslims, and are not the real leaders of Afghanistan. Now I can't see them over throwing the Taliban, but they will still be very vocal with their propaganda, IE; " Real Muslims would not be consorting with the Chinese, who are killing thousands of their Muslim Brothers. etc. And that will resonate with many Afghans, especially the ones who are not benefitting from the Chinese presence. The Chinese were amongst the first to hold talks with the Taliban after they arrived, and one of their demands / requests was that they ( Taliban) would not make any problems with them over the Uyghurs. So early days yet.

Central Asia consists of tribes... and those peoples involved see them as tribes. Afghans are not going to see any kind of brotherhood with Uyghurs, simply because they share some religious affiliations. Ultimately they'll look to their own interests first.. and China will be willing to bribe them to ensure that peace is encouraged in that region. Afghanistans (and neighboring countries) history is that of attacking/dominating their neighbors. That's what China will encourage.. just as they've done elsewhere. I suspect the resources to be gained are secondary. There's also the added interest in limiting drug production/supply to China, as the Chinese currently have a massive problem with drug addiction, especially in rural areas. If the Afghans can be encouraged to distribute elsewhere, while also policing the area, Beijing would likely be very supportive.

Advertisement