Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTH and Google Mesh Issue

Options
  • 27-01-2022 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi All, apologies if this is explained elsewhere, I did try and search and didn't find a definitive answer. I recently switched from Virgin to Vodafone FTTH. I was using the Google Mesh system with Virgin and had no problems as I was able to put the Virgin router into modem only mode. I can't seem to find this setting on the Vodafone box and have been having issues with the internet dropping intermittently on the mesh. I have been doing some research and it looks like this may be due to there being a double NAT, but as Google Mesh doesn't support VLAN tagging I need to come up with a solution. I tried turning off the wifi on the Vodafone router as suggested in a few places online but am still having issues.

Looking around the cheapest option may be to install a managed switch that can manage the vlan tagging - something like this. Could anyone guide me on how to install this and what settings to change? Do I just unplug the wire that is current coming from the Huawei box on the wall (the ONT I think it is called?) into the Vodafone router and plug it into the managed switch and remove the Vodafone router completely? What settings do I need to change on the switch?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, networking is definitely not my strong point. If there is a post on how to do this already, apologies, please point me in its direction and I will delete this post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

All as you said. ONT /Managed switch / Nest

step#1 VLAN 10 TAGGED settings for the switch

https://kb.netgear.com/31026/How-to-configure-a-VLAN-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch

step #2 Set up PPPoE connection with Nest ( user&pass for Vodafone broadband)

simple like this

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

@alec76 Hey, do you know how I might go about doing this for the Eero 6 Pro? I'm pretty sure I've set up VLAN Tag 10, and then PPPoE with:

user vodafone@vodafone.ie

pass vodafone

But upon connecting the ONT directly to the Eero 6 after this, no connection is made to the internet.

Thanks!

An update to the above, I contacted Vodafone to confirm the correct pppoe auth info which they gave me:

S/N no.@vodafone.ie

broadband

SN is obtained from the back of the gigabox. They also said to use VLAN10

However I tried these, and still no connection has been made.

The eero 6 pro app doesn't give much info on what exactly has failed, it just says 'something went wrong' at the bottom, and there's no internet connection.

Might see if there are logs somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

No idea , sorry.

Could Eero 6 pro support PPPoE and VLAN tagging now ?

I am only asking,as none of previous versions of Eero supported it.

Yup they do! Eero 6 pro with the latest firmware update.

Actually got it working there with the above info, just needed a bit of time to get connected it looks like. Delighted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement