Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH entering the house: SIRO vs OpenEir

Options
  • 27-01-2022 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I'm looking to get FTTH installed (currently on Virgin's FTTC coming into the house on the coax lines).

It seems our house (Galway city) is served by both SIRO and OpenEir. I'm wondering which to go with, and I'd like to have an idea of where the fibre will enter the house for best placement of router/socket availability etc.

For SIRO my understanding is that the fibre will come in through a newly drilled hole in the external wall closest to the external electricity meter. For OpenEir I'm not so clear. There's a phone socket in the hall, coming in from underground duct somewhere. Is it possible the fibre could be routed along this same ducting so I could potentially have the ONT/Router where the old phone socket is? This would be ideal for sockets/WiFi around the house.

When Virgin roll out their FTTH could that potentially come out at the existing Virgin (old UPC) coax wall sockets?

I may very well be misunderstanding some basic things here, hoping someone can set me straight.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 conorking

I got Eir FTTH installed recently.

The installation is done by KN Networks.

For me, they connected a dedicated overhead line to the house from the substation/pole across the street. The engineer's preference was to drill a new entry hole at the front of the house, and install the internal equipment right there. However, my existing access point for my previous provider (Virgin) was at the back of the house, so I was able to talk him in to routing the external wire around the house and go in at the rear, beside the existing entry point. This made more sense to me in terms of where I wanted to position the router etc. (The front of the house would have been very inconvenient due to room layout and furniture, etc).

I understand that if you do have an underground duct, then that is their preference (and it's more sightly than overhead wires).

Ultimately, when Virgin roll out FTTH, they will use the same infrastructure and fibre cables that are installed by KN (not old coax wall sockets).

Advertisement