Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

One interesting scenario down the road is which could collapse first the EU or the UK? the odds are not 0 that something significant happens

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭scottser

We'll all be dead and gone by the time either of those happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there are lots of forces that would force it.

a UI is going to happen, that is for sure, voting no to it is not going to prevent or delay it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the UK most likely as scotland will go independant eventually thankfully and england won't be able to afford to keep the rest of the uniion and over seas colonies going.

the EU won't collapse as ultimately dispite everything, it has been a force for good over all and has brought european nations together.

the dark forces that want to destroy it so as to turn their countries into some sort of dictatorships will ultimately fail, they have got the odd win and may get a couple more, but ultimately as they always fail in government they will be gone after 1 term so won't be able to do too much damage over all.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It just makes you realize how outrageous the Israeli crimes are, imagine Ireland dropping a few drones loaded with 500lb bombs onto every pub in Sandy Row because a loyalist fella drinks there sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in the second case you cant say "wont" , demographics and debt are growing problems . if for instance Germany ceases to be an economic powerhouse the EU at least might need to reform into a more loose association where one country isnt going to accept financial obligations to others.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I was being facetious and sarcastic with the above post, I guess trying to demonstrate how easily a regime can vilify and alienate a demographic if so wished.

Personally, the best solution for NI would be for it to be fully independent with a properly functioning parliament and let it choose who it becomes allied to - hopefully both ourselves and the UK. Make the communities work together instead of enabling the current impasse which stifles any talks of the place reaching any sort of potential. A UI probably won't work as currenty envisaged, but I'll be voting for it given the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

unionism is a desired union with britain. A united is the opposite thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Unionism and Loyalism are incompatible with the Republic. That is a fact.

To me, the status quo would be best ( or would have been best before Brexit ).

Let the border between the Republic of Ireland and the North be as transparent and as invisible as possible, but let Belfast have a devolved government within the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, Irish nationalists are a majority. Let them have a devolved government within the Republic.

In fact, its the perfect opportunity to get rid of our arcane system of local government and replace it with 7 or 8 powerful regional assemblies, including the 6 Counties, to allow for proper regional development, devolution and sustainable planning.

The HSE re-org has already presented a template...

The status quo is the worst of all possible options. Stormont won't work unless both all parties are actively ambitious for the success of NI and not just blowing their own trumpets. But if they were to go down the devolved parliament route, it would be far better under Irish governance than the UK's. As much as our electoral system isn't perfect, it does at least force a consensus and promote the middle ground in order to simply get things done.

As hard as it is, but the status quo is probably the only ever workable solution, at least for the next 10 to 15 years. Sadly with Brexit in the UK things haven't gotten any easier as well.

Also one of the biggest issues you're looking at here is that in a possible united Ireland, Dublin would have to foot the bill, for all and everything which is at the moment funded from Westminster. For Westminster the bill is a small amount, for Dublin it'll be a huge financial cost to shoulder.

The question asked in the thread is actually not one but two questions:

How can Ireland be reunited? and And how can Dublin finance everthing?

And given the history and all the conflicts, I'd say it's safe to say that loyalism and unionism is totally incompatible with republicanism.

The only future I would see and realy want to have is a peacefull co-existence with a very very transparent and invisible border.

I keep hearing that 'Ireland has to foot the bill' in these debates but I doubt that will be the case. The UK would still have long-term loans on capital infrastucture and other liabilities such as their civil service that isn't going to change overnight. There would be a long period of transition that would need to be budgeted for.

No, ever since Brexit we know that you can't have one without the other.

As for everything else, money and who is going to pay for what is always a major factor. It always is.

Furthermore there would be a lot of other things we all wouldn't agree upon, NATO membership, the currency, citizenship, the colour of letter boxes, names of streets and places to be renamed or not to be renamed, etc… Transition periods would also mean deadlines and cut off dates, none would agree upon as well.

All subjects we would already disagree upon and argue about today.

• Advertisement

All those are just details. It's all doable and it's all worth it.

There is a way to get square pegs into round holes.

I think the discussion about Irish unification will always come up again and again.

But I bet, there won't be an Irish unification in 20 or 30 years in the future.

One requirement that would need to happen, is that NI would need a stronger economy and not having any financial dependenace on Westminster. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Advertisement