Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s the story with school buses?

Options
  • 27-01-2022 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I’ve no experience with school buses and I’m thinking a bus might be a good option for my child who is starting primary school in September. How young is too young for the bus? How much is it? Or does it depend on your location? Who organises it? Is it managed by the school? Should I be getting on a list now? Any info grateful received as I’ve zero knowledge! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can't answer all your questions, but: not managed by the school and age wise, it depends on the child. There won't be anyone on the bus to "mind" your child, so they need to be independent enough to board, find a seat and put on their seat belt themselves. Personally,unless they have siblings or friends already travelling on the bus, I'd not use a bus for a JI for the 1st term.

The link below should answer most of your other questions.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/going_to_primary_school/primary_school_transport_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Thank you for that info @byhookorbycrook I was not aware there is a possible grant. 4 year olds are eligible but it seems particularly young to me. I’ll take your advice and drive myself for Junior Infants as the child needs to be able to put on their own seatbelt (that never crossed my mind). Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

From my experience, those infants that tend to come by bus with those family members or neighbours who can keep an eye out for them (even if they don't particularly want to sit beside them!)

Advertisement