Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabling old eircom phonewatch alarm

Options
  • 27-01-2022 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Just bought a house that has an old eircom phonewatch alarm. I have the code to disarm it but it seems to intermittently start beeping. There are also non standard ASCII characters floating around the LCD screen.

I want to disable the system altogether. I've read a few other threads on here and plan on popping the fuse and disconnecting the battery in the boxes.

What has me a little confused is the fact that there are multiple boxes as shown below. I'm hoping the fuse will isolate both boxes? Are they 2 separate alarms? Is the top one just the user interface and the bottom one is the one that communicates with all the sensors etc? Does the bottom one have a speaker in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

Open the box with the LCD screen. Take the leads off the battery, followed the mains cable more than lightly blue, brown to connector block in panel and pull the fuse. The other box with the single aerial disconnect the battery and the mains fuse like main panel

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Thanks David. Hoping to tackle it tomorrow so will report back.

The only reservation I have is that there's a phonewatch box on the outside if the house high up. It has a red light blinking on it. It is likely to have a speaker in it that will blare out? It's hardly fused?

More than lightly a decoy. If you do remove all power from the panel and ot rings, it will die after about 30 minutes.

When you say a decoy do you mean the red light is not connected to the mains? There's just a battery? As far as I can see the alarm is there for a good 10 years.

It more that lightly just has a long life battery with a flashing led.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If it's a standard SAB with an alarm in it, it will sound as soon as you open the panel as it will detect a tamper.

Just be ready for loud noises internally and externally.

Thanks a million to David and everyone. Alarm disabled and currently ripping all the ugly bits of the wall.

Advertisement