Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free DAB radio

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If FreeDAB was to reappear in Dublin it would be great. I'd like to see some improvements as I found they had some stability and availability issues before.

With FM pirates, the signal can fade in & out when driving around (but you put it with it). With DAB, once the signal drops to a certain level it cuts out (such is the nature of DAB). So a strong DAB signal is needed to reduce the likelihood of this happening.

When stationary, I found a few times that the signal strength would go from over 90% signal to 0% - just for a second. This was enough to drop the audio, so was a little annoying.

Anyways, I think the service would be very visible if they ever reappeared. All new cars now have DAB, and some will automatically combine DAB and FM stations into a single list by default.

Post edited by JDxtra on

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

As far as I’m aware, the guys from Free DAB are involved in the recently licenced Ulster Mux. I’d imagine that’s where their priorities now lie? With no pathway to a licence in the Republic, a “pirate” setup is essentially a waste of time and money as the content providers will be predominately foreign stations or low grade pirates hauled in to make up the numbers.

An old chestnut on this forum is that the 5k fee the Bai charge for a section 41? licence prevented any new start up going on any of the previous DAB trial tests here. I'd say that any business that can't cough up 5k isn't going to be any viable business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not necessarily true, it would depend on what business model the operator goes for, whether it's one decided by them or by civil servants.

remember 5k is horrifically expensive for what is really some admin work.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Advertisement