Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Mail - Yay or Nay?

Options

Comments

Neither here nor there, the fact is they break stories others will not. That’s what being argued here.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

The Irish Daily Mail has an electronic subscription for 4.99 euro a month.

Well worth it imho. You're supporting independent journalism that doesnt parrot the "multiculturalism is wonderful" propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,019 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every story has to have someone first to cover it. A list of what they were first to cover is absolutely not an answer to the baseless claim that they cover stories others won't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Except the black guy also bought the mansion for his mother but the Daily Mail neglected to mention that in their headline 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm not sure which one of you is worse 😂

DM is harmless enough in my view, simply because even their regular readers seem to know how bad they are, you see it in comments all the time. For me it's essentially a handy site just for headlines and images, with lots of dodgy reporting in the mix too of course. DM do have a "I don't give a **** what you think of me mindset" so their reporting isn't overly political in my view. They honestly seem to be driven by clicks alone more so than any other site, and it's a model that clearly works for them. The best thing about the DM is Peter Hitchens, who I honestly find both truthful and entertaining.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

If a man is beheaded in his front garden in Manchester by a Filipino immigrant that isn't a purely personal matter. It also has implications for wider society.

Do you really expect anyone to believe that you want media coverage of a grisly murder suppressed because you think reporting it will...upset people's feelings?

So the Daily Mail is mean for reporting things which other newspapers carefully brush under the carpet? Great argument guys.

Outlets in Ireland take sides on literally every voting issue. They might not say "vote this way", but they get close enough to doing so. All said outlets are full of opinion pieces too, which are often used for one sided political persuasion.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I recall they were reporting on the mass rape and sexual assault in Cologne and across Europe on NYE 2015 while the rest of the world was silent on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not so sure. A simple message is easier to hammer home if you repeat it enough. Just look at how ingrained criticism of the EU became in UK papers. They literally made **** up or purposely misinterpreted EU policy for years, and while any single story was easily discredited, the continuous pressure got the message through. Like a placebo having an effect even when the patient is aware it's a placebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes I find the articles in it interesting and informative.

The Irish Times and The Journal on the other hand I despise everything about them.

• Advertisement

Our own media does the exact same thing in the other direction. I'd bet that nearly every Irish journalist is a EU devotee, and you'll see little to no genuine criticism of the union from most media outlets here. You see a similar mindset here, if someone says "we should leave the EU", they'll be attacked as mad men just for the thought, and that kind of mindset exists in our media too.

I doubt you'd see many articles at the time of joining the EU, stating the EU's whole plan, which was written in the 1950s, a plan for eventual full federalization, because the Irish may not have been so quick accept it all, few countries would have in honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i have nothing against freedom of speech, but the daily mail certainly doesn't constitute that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not what he sees but it is certainly what the daily mail does see, only skin color.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What implications for wider society did you draw from the Daily Mail article?

"A pensioner was decapitated and his head dumped in a wheelie bin apparently after a disagreement over noise.

Patrick McGee, 63, was ambushed in his front garden as he returned home from a meeting.

Senior police sources last night confirmed that they were investigating theories that Mr McGee had been involved in a fracas over anti-social levels of noise at a nearby house in Crumpsall, Manchester."

Because when other newspapers reported on it, some time later is true, after tue court case, they actually had the full story of what happened.

""A PARANOID schizophrenic who stabbed then decapitated his next-door neighbour has been detained under the Mental Health Act.

Paranoid schizophrenic Eric Fernandez Cruz, 32, who was described as a deeply religious biology graduate, 'heard voices in his head' telling him to kill Patrick McGee, Manchester crown court was told.

Sentencing him to an indefinite hospital order, Judge Michael Henshell said: “This is a tragic case..

..Tragically, Eric Cruz suffered from a mental illness, apparently for some time. He heard voices. He had fixed and firm beliefs that voices were commanding him to do various things.

“He believed he had a mission to protect children and believed it was necessary for him to take the life of Patrick McGee to protect his own child.""

Do you think you'd draw the same conclusions from both articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very much ‘here’ for the family and friends who hadn’t been notified of the death to find the gory details in click bait articles specifically designed to inflame anti immigration hysteria. And it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I have a third view, why is it anyone else's business how somebody spends their personal money? Why is that newsworthy? Is envy and jealously a legitimate endeavour now?

People seem to care a lot what rich people do or don’t do with their money.

a very interesting habit I’ve noticed is also to talk about how much better you’d spend it. “Oh I’d give so much to charity..”

would you fcuk. If you don’t give anything now you wouldn’t start when you’re loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Thats obviously wrong if they had that information prior to running the story. Direct quotes were provided by Foden to the Daily Mail re: the new house he bought for his Mum. . Was there any source that stated Tosin bought the house for his Mum prior to Steerling's comments after the story was printed. I couldn't find any.. Not everything is black and white , literally and figurately. Maybe the only information they had at the time is that he bought a new house.

Was the headline racist ? No... Bad journalism ? Yes.

But thats the thing , all journalism is crap. Bias determines what type of journalism people consume. If anybody thinks their paper is any better , its not.

Johnny Depp with all his wealth and power could win a lawsuit against the Press. But ordinary kid Nick Sandman sued left wing CNN and MSNBC for $500 and won. Most people who proport to hate the Daily Mail follow those news outlets.

Left Wing Independent ran one of the most egregious headlines ive ever seen.. That is Alex Jones level fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's a lot of guesswork here. That people either love CNN, MSNBC, the guardian or they love the daily mail, fox news and the red tops, maybe the telegraph.

But its very simplicity thinking. As usual the people at the extremes voice their opinions most loudly but the majority never speak.

For example, I like the Irish times, the examiner, NYT, WSJ, BBC news, channel 4 news, fox business, france24, CNBC, vice. Probably slightly left leaning but I'll watch or read anything really. I'd happily watch Fox business but I wouldn't melt my head watching Fox news and the exaggerated whines and groans of the pantomime they call opinion pieces or "debates". In all the newspapers you will find good journalists, who really are independent contributors, they could write for anyone. I'm not into stories that pull at my base emotions like the example of envy above. It's clearly either manipulative or striving for popularity. It's not the purpose of a journalist or a story to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Firblog

One example, perhaps shows dailymail being anti racist, publishing something no other newspaper would/did publish.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/11/10/16/31836238-8933179-In_February_1997_the_Daily_Mail_took_the_unprecedented_step_of_n-a-132_1605024792994.jpg

I remember the dailymail being very much to the fore on the Stephen Lawrence case.

• Advertisement

The other papers reported on the court case the following July, six months later.

Does every news story require a six month gap until the full details are known?

There were people jumping the gun on the Savita, Aisling Murphy and George Floyd cases.

In the Murphy case there were calls for 'new legislation' from day one when little was known. I don't recall anyone saying this incident should be withheld from the headlines altogether.

Omission as a form of soft censorship is not satisfactory to many people hence they will go to the Daily Mail web site to see what's happening in the world.

You’ve had to go back 25 years to find a good example. Do you reckon that might be indicative of a problem in itself?

Who mentioned withholding information or six month gaps? Do you reckon that they might have the decency to let family and friends hear the bad news in an appropriate manner before they dump out their sensational click bait?

They’re at it again today, misinformation and plain lies to stir up hatred against vulnerable road users, and inflaming bullies.

What’s the problem with the Independent headline?

You are just waffling. The incident happened on Dec 15th. The story was reported in the DM on Dec 17th. Other media picked it up the following July.

Police would've informed family immediately, on Dec 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Firblog

Sorry, some people were asking for examples, I didn't realize there was a statute of limitations involved.

If you’ve ever been involved in informing relatives in such scenarios,24-48 hours is often nothing near enough time to share such devastating news in a sensitive way.

What is the great public benefit arising from publishing such gory details at such an early stage?

You've absolutely no idea if the family were surprised.

The police don't tell somebody their family member has been murdered until 3 or more days later? That sounds suss to me.

Is it any gorier than George Floyd being slowly choked to death? The point of reporting a story accurately is truthfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't even use it to light the fire. It's an absolute shitrag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Women who owned 400K house murdered

Jail for man who owned 300k home

Every article must have a house price. Shows you are a decent sort and not renting scum

Also preaches about morals and the downfall of society while having the "sidebar of shame" of scantily clad Z list celebrities

Advertisement