Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washer and dryer at same time

Options
  • 28-01-2022 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

My utility room has 2 double sockets and a fused switched spur, there are on their own circuit. Today the fuse in the switched spur blew when both things were running, should I be able to run both at the same time and why is there a fused spur for the sockets in that room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

No you've a problem there

You've a spur feeding 2 sockets and a washer and dryer running

Typically at least a couple of radials feeding a utility room ,.dunno are they still using rings now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭xabi

Would you expect to see a switched spur in a utility room? The switch has one cable coming into it and 2 cables leaving. The gas boiler was originally going in that room I recall, but it got moved last minute, would that explain the fused switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

No ideally there should be individual double pole isolation switches on each appliance for isolation.

What MCB in the board is feeding the fused spur?

If it is correctly wired to the board, you should fit two double pole isolation switches feeding two sockets one for each appliance.

20 amp MCB feeding it

• Registered Users Posts: 69,112 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A conventional vented dryer can draw the bulk of 13A on its own, a hot wash in a washing machine fed cold (as they pretty much all are) isn't going to be a low load at times either.

A heat pump dryer will usually pull about 7A max, and they are slower albeit less harsh on clothes and much cheaper to run.

• Advertisement

I’m not too bothered about isolation as I can access the switches, could I get someone to remove the fused switch, connect the wires in the back box and put a blank plate on? I’m sure the fused switch was for the boiler that didn’t end up going in that room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Get a 20a double pole switch and replace the fused spur, it’s the same amount of work as blanking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Subject to inspection I would caution without seeing it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agreed. The entire circuit needs to be assessed before making changes such as this. There may be other connected loads or poor connections. Modifying the circuit so that it can supply a larger current without fully understanding it would not be recommended.

Assuming the circuit is ok, I would install one spur outlet for the dryer and one for the washing machine. This would protect the cable from the spur to the equipment which is not going to be rated for 20A.

Both dryers and washing machines are well known for overheating and causing fires.

Advertisement