Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Of The Former Irish Swiss Institute Of Horology

• 28-01-2022 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This is something I have been working on for a while now, still a work in progress.

I first learned about the former Institute located in Blanchardstown during a talk by Damian Duggan at Engineers Ireland back in March 2020. I was amazed to learn that the tools / equipment was still in storage.

After joining the British Horological Institute to start attending courses, I felt I needed to learn more about what the former Institute was like, especially given it was located just down the road from where I live.

I started by contacting the principal, Brendan Harrington, of Edmund Rice College which is temporary located in the building of the former institute. I asked him is there any traces of the former institute or could he provide me with any more information.

Sadly, no traces of the former institute remain as since it closed in 2004, many things have been located there throughout the years.

Brendan did advise me to get in touch with Dún Laoghaire Education and Training Board (DDLETB) as they currently own the building. From there, I was put in touch with Karl Fitzmaurice, a student of the institute between 1986-1989 and returned in 1991 to lecture there until it closed in 2004.

He informed me that there was ongoing discussion with the newly opened Museum of Time located in Waterford, to display the tools currently in storage at the museum. I asked him was it possible for me to go and see them along with any more info regarding the institute, unfortunately at the moment, haven't heard anything back.

Decided to take a trip to see what it is like today, located on Mill Road in Blanchardstown Village

It was a week day when I visited, so being an active school, I couldn't get pictures of the classrooms. There seems to be newer buildings added around. It was strange to think there was once a watchmaking institute here, I used to get my hair cut in Sam's barbers located just up the road when it was opened and had no idea what was here!

After the trip I went online to see what more I could learn.

21st June 1965 a picture showing the cutting first sod for the Irish-Swiss Institute of Horology

Here is an interesting piece in the Irish Times from 1999 about the college [https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/now-is-the-time-to-study-watches-1.243257] A three year course, fees for the course are £150 per annum and successful applicants may be eligible for VEC scholarships covering course fee and/or maintenance grants.

Stephen McGonigle of McGonigle watches also attended the institute between 1993-1996.

A Facebook page of the Institute has pictures of former students receiving their diploma's

Jon Anderson ( front) and Michael Miley (back) during graduation. It was fun to read stories of them going to the Bell and the Greyhound afterwards for drinks, was interesting to walk the same route myself and to imagine what it was like back then as so much if the area has changed.

I'm still waiting to hear back from people and hope to contact more former students of the Institute. Also looking into the ongoing efforts to get a new institute or at least courses back up and running as giving the demand for watchmakers around the world plus everything needed is sitting there the past 18 years ready to go is such a shame.

Will post any further updates and if anyone who has any information or is a former student of the institute, I would be grateful to get in touch.

Thank you,

Keith.

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

It's crazy to think all the equipment is still just sitting there. Looking forward to hearing any further updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭rx8

I remember, back in the day, when the Christian Brothers would ask you what you intended to do with your life... there was only about 15 new students taken on yearly out of the whole country.

It would have been absolutely the top of my list of what I wanted to do after Leaving Cert in 1982. Alas it was a closed shop back then, but thanks to the BHI, and the vast amount of resources online, lately, I have been able to get involved in the watch world. It's become a real passion of mine lately, and I'm so lucky to have found this place too.

Thanks IP. and the rest of ye too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

"there was only about 15 new students taken on yearly out of the whole country."

Thanks for the information, was wondering what the number of students was alright. 15 is actually pretty big number compared to institutes today.

I have been looking into several of them and they seem to be only 6 students taken on. The British School of Watchmaking in Manchester for instance, which teaches the WOSTEP (Watchmakers of Switzerland Training and Educational Program) only takes on a new group of 6 students every 2 years, and that's including international!

There's a few institutes across the USA but are equally as small and difficult to get into, also some teach the WOSTEP program and some the newer program, SAWTA (Swiss American Watchmakers Training Alliance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I was talking to a guy today who graduated from there in 98 .He was telling me that it was a very well respected institute among the watch makers .He was showing me his final year watch which was based on a valjoux 7751 movement which has moon phase/ day / date calendar and chrono .Very impressive watch.

Thanks for sharing, fantastic info! I was actually talking myself with former students this week regarding the institute. Will hopefully have more to add in the coming weeks ;)

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Just wanted to give an update, I had been in contact with Ken of Dawson Jewellers about getting some time in the shop to gain some experience and meet with the watchmakers during my days off from work.

Having the day off today, I set off into town. Arriving at 9am just as the shutters started going up. I was giving a warm welcome, told to hang up my coat and handed a box of watches to begin setting up the window displays.

Then I was put to work sorting out various watch parts,manuals,straps. The two watchmakers along with Ken himself attended the former institute.

Now for the exciting bit, the benches they work on are the exact ones taken from the institute after it closed in 2004!

At the sides of the drawers was reminders from the institute, calculations for gear ratio

A former student leaving their mark

It was incredible to finally see and touch something that was in the institute along with talk with students who used those same desks, even the tools they were using where the ones that they had bought while attending the institute!

As 6pm approached, it was time to put away the watches on display and end what was an incredible experience! I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Ken for taken me in for the day and all the staff for chatting with me and getting me a step closer on my watchmaking journey!

I have been invited to come back on my next day off which is next Saturday! Apologize for the lack of pictures but of course due to security reasons I didn't want to take many. Hopefully will have more information on the institute in the coming weeks.

Thanks everyone for the support!

Keith.

Hi All,

Just wanted to share another huge update, after getting in touch with Karl Fitzmaurice, he very kindly agreed to meet me after work today. He had brought along several books, one of which was like gold dust! A history of the Institute! I have scanned the pages and uploaded them here [Link] .

It was fantastic talking with him about his time at the institute, will do a further post on the topics we covered in more detail.

Just want to say a Massive Thank You to Karl for taking the time to meet with me and provide me with the missing pieces to this project.

Thank You,

Keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s a lot of talent that went through the school over the years . I wonder what most of them are working as now ? Ive only heard / recognise 5 names on it (not that I would know many names in the watch industry anyway ) but be interesting to know are many still involved . Most likely overseas if they are .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I knew a couple of watchmakers back in the 90's and they ended up in IT, chip production IIRC. At the time they told me watchmakers were sought out for that sorta thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maevet1

Hi there

I found this thread because I was searching for any school of horology that might exist i. Ireland. My dad (who is now 90), worked all his life as a watchmaker. He is now retired and I was hoping to find somewhere or someone who might be interested in his equipment. Looking at the photos above of the benches is fascinating as his workbench is similar.

Can I confirm with you that there isn’t a school of watchmaking ? I hope you don’t mind me asking. I don’t want to see my dads ‘stuff’ go to waste.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! 🙂 Thanks for reaching out, that is really interesting regarding your dad being a watchmaker, would be very interesting to chat with him about his job.

Regarding schools, unfortunately there's no longer any watchmaking schools in Ireland. There has been ongoing discussion about setting up a new course using the tools in storage from the school in Blanchardstown, but giving the limited interest and difficulty in finding someone to teach the classes ,I don't see it happening.

The Irish museum of time in Waterford was interested in displaying some of the equipment currently in storage from the former Institute , so you could contact them to see if they could help you.

I would be very interested to see what equipment your dad has, would it be possible to post some pictures or send in a private message

Thank you,

Keith.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Isn't it fascinating, I heard an interview with Stephen McGonigle of McGonigle watches on with Pat Kenny this morning and he mentioned the Blanchardstown Institute. I lived in Dublin 15 all my life and had never heard of it. A quick Google brought me to this really informative thread. I love Boards for this sort of thing!

The interview is here in case anyone wants to listen back:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Former student here. Graduated in 99, and moved to Canada to work for Rolex in after sales. Moved back home after a period, and worked in several retail stores, but had my fingers burned by too many bright shiny "opportunities". As a result, I've not been at the bench in many a long year.

As others have said, a lot of very talented people went through the doors over the years, not least the McGonigle brothers. A chap thar graduated the year before me is now working for Bvlgari,and at the time, was the youngest watchmaker to work on Grand Sonnerie.

Some sad memories looking the those pics. Jon Anderson passed away not too long ago, as has Mr. O'Brien, very affectionate known as BOB by all and sundry. And if I'm not mistaken, the student whose shoulder he's looking over on the cover of the commemorative book is George Ball, who also trained there, and has also sadly passed away.

Been sometime since my last update on here, @miamee Thank you for sharing the interview! Great to see that more people are interested in the history of the school!

@Chuck_Norris Thanks for reaching out! One of the Watchmaker's I met in Dawson also graduated in 99 and went on to Rolex in the UK. Great to hear from more former students, a real shame that it closed as I would of loved to have attended.

As many regulars on here already know, I am currently working as an Movement Assembly Technician for Bremont Watch Company in the UK, working my way towards becoming a watchmaker. Currently studying for the British School of Watchmaking 3000hr WOSTEP course starting in January 2025 that will take 2 years.

Unfortunately my maths / logical reasoning tests were the reason I was unsuccessful last time and am working to sit my GCSE Maths exam next June , just on time for my application in August 2024. Highly competitive with only 8 students accepted every 2 years.

Here's a post in more detail regarding the journey

Moving to the UK to start with Bremont

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119530885/#Comment_119530885

Also a course in servicing automatic watches I attended at the BHI which offers a very great experience to a watchmaking school and offering a great introduction into servicing

BHI Course: Service and Repair of Automatic watches

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058273387/british-horological-institute-short-courses-service-and-repair-of-automatic-watches

Some pictures I took inside the school last year

Some pictures from the school in Manchester to give an idea of a current watchmaking school

Earlier this year, spent a week training in Biel/ Bienne Switzerland which was incredible! Managed to buy 3 posters in an antique tool shop that were used in the school, one of which was of the electronic Dynatron movement

Also have several watchmaking books given to me by Karl Fitzmaurice, some of which were also used at the school

As part of the WOSTEP course, we need to make our own brass block, here's an example of the one they currently make

I'm hoping to recreate the one made in the ISIH

If anyone still has one, would be grateful for the measurements.

Thank you

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

Hi, I attended the ISIH from 1993 - 1996. If still interested, I can post a picture of the block I made. Needs a bit of polish before posting though. Used, but not in bad shape. I have original drawings/dimensions given to us by Karl/George/BOB.. Happy to share, don’t think they’re proprietary.

Thank you so much for reaching out, only just saw your reply today. Sent you a PM. Happy to hear from anyone else that has stories about their time in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tommymccall

I attended the Institute 1984 - 87, great to see the photos of the school. Have great memories of my time in Dublin. Still working at the bench after all these years. Sad to hear of the passing of BoB, he was one of a kind. We had a reunion a few years ago and was great to see him and meet up with some old friends.

@Tommymccall Thank you for reaching out and sharing those pictures. Really great to hear that you are still at the bench.

The more I learn about the school, the more I wish I had a chance to attend. Enjoy being at the bench myself, some days can be very frustrating, but I enjoy the challenge and looking forward to attending the school in Manchester, along with more BHI courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pat Delmar

Hi Keith,

My name is Pat DelmarI just came accross this today. I graduated from ISIH in 1969. I was in the same class as George Ball who later became an instructor there. I was sad to hear of Georges passing, do you know when he died ?. Do you know how I could get a copy of the /comparative book?. Brendan O'Brien started there, I think in 1967. Im in that photo taken outside the Certina factory but i think it was in 1970 not 1968.

When I graduated from the the institute in 1969 Myself and James O'Connell worked for Henry Spring who had the agency for Eterna watches. In 1978 the Electricity Supply Board advertised for a watchmaker to work on time switchs and various instruments. When I presented for the interview I was shocked the see they had Marc Golay on the interview panel. He was there for the technical side of the interview. He asked me just two questions - the definition of Isochronism and what are the five shocks. Although it had been nine years since I graduated I was able to reel off the right answers. Out of forty applicants, I got the job. During my early years in ESB I organised week long training courses in the ISIH for the staff who were overhauling time switches. I retired from ESB in 2016.

Thank you for posting it brought back some great memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Hi Pat, George passed away in 2007 or 2008 if I remember correctly, after a short illness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement