Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a monitor, what to look for why do some monitors cause eyestrain?

Options
  • 29-01-2022 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Recently I purchased my first proper pc here https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/punch-technology-l08-core-i5-11400f-16gb-500gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-geforce-rtx-30-gdt-705-1171/version.asp and was thinking maybe I should get a 1440p monitor to match it . But my main priority is to find one that wont cause me eye strain say if I am reading books pdfs etc over long periods of time /using the computer most of the day.

So ive been trying to research what specs I should really be looking for?Is it as simple as loading f.lux and turning down the brightness to the last for you ? Im not all that familiar with monitors is it possible to set a specific candela/m^2 (nits) on new monitors? And that does the job? I can only go by my experience and ive had one laptop(lenovo b50-45) and another monitor(asus vs228) ive previously used the laptop I was able to use all day with no eyestrain because I had f.lux max setting and brightness scroll wheel down the bottom . The Monitor I tried the same but would cause me eye strain. Both of these screens were made in 2014 maybe you can change these things on new monitor more specifically now?The refresh rates were the same on both so its not that 60 hz.I think its the brightness so what cd/m^2 do you use normally ? the laptop was rated 200 nits vs the monitor 250 nits. heres the asus monitor nothing stands out else about it if from my view https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/6ed1f10 21.5 inch /tn/55-75hz

What other things should I be looking for do higher resolutions cause more eye strain ? higher refresh rates? Should i keep to a smaller screen ?

I have great vision , i was able to use my **** laptop without eyestrain but since im upgrading im tempted to get a big screen high resolution but not sure if its a bad idea. Or maybe two monitors is a better idea. I do want do some gaming but wont be playing much fps so looking for value if i can find it. No need for 1ms monitor/gsync i guess. Is a higher refresh rate worth it?

Not sure about budget it seems the most important component so should i be spending 400 for a main monitor at least? 500? 300? looking for value.

Comments

Really noticed the difference with a 27 inch1440p 60 hz monitor nearly 10 yrs ago. Very easy on the eye and could have 3 word pages on the monitor at once.

Upgraded to a 75 hz version a cpl of years ago after i damaged my monitor due to stupidity. Again a noticeable upgrade.

Edit. Paid 300 sterling for the first monitor and 300 euro for the 2nd. Am keen to try 4k but for gaming my GFX will struggle

Suggest you go for higher refresh rates at 1440p with your computer. Also go for ips screen for colour quality. Pcgamer website shoukd have monitor reviews and best of type reviews too

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I got this one recently, now on sale again. There is also a large further discount for students/staff in education.

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/professional/P24h-2LA19238QP123-8-inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/62B2GAT1UK

I noticed it is compliant with the EyeSafe standard in terms of general quality and balance of light spectrum. Not a great monitor for gaming as it has a 4-6ms refresh rate and won't go above 60 Hz. It is designed for colour accuracy rather than response.

Other than that, to counter eyestrain I would not get a 27" QHD, but rather UHD. Or like the above, find a 22-25" monitor in QHD. That is because a higher pixel density plus Windows scaling renders fonts far easier to read, like the native screen on a Mac. The smaller the pixels, the less your brain has to figure out what is being pixelated, and less strain.

For gaming, check monitors against these standards and generally I think PPI is more important than screen size.

Advertisement