Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a good price for AMD Ryzen 5600X & MSI MAG B550 MOBO? £410 ; 16GB Ram - £60

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Also - thinking I might change the 5600X processor to a 5700G so that it'd have integrated graphics...(Cost: £290 if I did it - would just add prev mobo / ram to it)

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8 Core AM4 CPU/Processor inc Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G, AM4, Zen 3, 8 Core, 16 Thread, 3.8GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo, 16MB Cache, Radeon Vega Graphics, 65W, CPU

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-7-5700g-am4-zen-3-8-core-16-thread-38ghz-46ghz-turbo-16mb-cache-radeon-vega-graphics-cpu

Thanks for that Sugarman,

I'll look again. I was going to use Parcel Motel and have them delivered to Belfast which gets around the delivery issue...

Any outlets or stores / websites you'd recommend btw?

-ZB

Will check out other options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Homelander

Also consider the Intel i5-12400F, way cheaper option and just as good.

Thanks Homelander,

Checking out that on Amazon now :-)

• Advertisement

Not seeing the i5-12400F for way cheaper so far, will keep looking and try different Amazon locales...

Thinking of getting this SSD from Argos Ireland. Thoughts?Samsung 980 500GB PCle 3.0 NVMe SSD 919/9668Samsung 980 500GB PCle 3.0 NVMe SSD . Seems good enough price.

919/9668: Link: https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9199668/Trail/searchtext%3ENVME+SSD.htm

€69.99

5 of 5

Buy or Reserve Samsung 980 500GB PCle 3.0 NVMe SSD

Details

It's time to maximise your PC's potential with the 980. Whether you need a boost for gaming or a seamless workflow for heavy graphics, the 980 is the smart choice for outstanding SSD performance, and it's all backed by an NVMe interface and PCIe 3.0 technology.

Get right to it. The 980 harnesses nearly all the speed advantages of PCIe 3.0 through HMB technology and dramatic NVMe efficiency. The Dram-less design delivers exceptional value, achieving breakneck sequential read/write speeds up to 3,500/3,000 MB/s, over 6.2x the speed of SATA SSDs.

Storage space 500GB: GB.

Size H2.22, W8.02, L0.24cm.

Manufacturer's 5 year guarantee.

EAN: 8806090572227.

Additional Information

Current selling price valid until 29/07/2022

Reviews

Post edited by zaphodbeeb on

Hmm - ok - looking to pull the trigger on the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 12th Generation Desktop Processor (Base Clock: 3.7GHz Tuboboost: 4.9GHz, 6 cores, LGA1700, RAM DDR4 and DDR5 up to 128GB) BX8071512600K £280

Mobo: Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX Motherboard - Supports 12th Gen Intel Core Processors (LGA 1700), DDR4-5333MHz(OC) Memory, 2.5GbE LAN, 1x PCIe 5.0 x16 Slot, 3x NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 & USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C £180

Ram: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083TRX7FX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1 £63

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@sugarman "Amazon UK are VAT registered here, so no worries there. What you pay at checkout is what you pay."

Is this the case?

Ive been overlooking amazon uk since brexit unless they were items below €150, i wasnt aware this was the case.

Sorry to jump into your thread OP.

Seems to be the case - Amazon charge an import fees deposit:

So, can we get back to my questions - also - do I need to buy a seperate CPU cooler? Think I do...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

great news

Hey @Dcully,

I'm not saying that is 100% correct - I'm just saying it seems to be the case just to be clear.

I'll probably buy anyway but I'm accepting that I may be wrong re import fees etc...

-ZB

@Homelander , @sugarman ...

Just reading on the differences between the Intel / AMD variants as described above.

Apparently while the Intel CPU is faster etc, it's not by much and the integrated graphics in something like a 5700G WAY OUTPERFORM Intel's equivalent...

Your thoughts?

You could save a lot of money by just getting the i5-12400F and B660M over the i5-12600K and Z690. Unless you have a great GPU and are gaming at 100hz+ it really is not going to make much difference.

The 5700G has better integrated graphics than the Intel processors but they are still rubbish in the overall scheme of things. Your GTX970 from 2014 is much, much faster.

They are good for playing Fifa or Valorant, Overwatch and the like, and run those games better than Intel can, but you're not playing Warzone or Cyberpunk on them.

Also the 5700G is an 8-core processor with 16 threads, both Intel i5's are 6 and 12 respectively. That doesn't make them better, but it really depends on what you are doing with the PC.

i5-12400 seems to be clocked at 2.5Ghz - seems a bbit slow?

Having trouble finding Intel CPUs directly sold by Amazon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's 2.5GHz base frequency, but they will turbo to 4.4GHz with any decent cooler.

It can run at 4ghz all-cores with the included stock cooler without any issue, as long as your case/airflow isn't total crap. It's nothing to be worried about anyway, small variances in clockspeed mean very little. 5600X has a higher base and boost clock then 12400F but they're still on par.

Thanks for your help folks - went for this in the end.

... and will collect the 500GB NVMe drive from Argos today. I know it's not PCI-e Gen4 (is a gen 3) but still loads faster than my regular ssd

Advertisement