Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AON or GPON

Options
  • 29-01-2022 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

As a follow up to my previous question, I have another as a second FTTH network operator is touting for business in my town near Berlin. The first crowd (I've signed a binding expression of interest with them which obliges me to take 24 months of data should they provide the connection) are building an AON offering up to 10gbps symmetric, not that I will order that lol.

This second crowd is building a GPON offering speeds up to 2.5gbps. A symmetric upload is not on offer to residential customers.

I would like the most future proof system even though I don't need these speeds today. Is there any better option here or is it all the same what we go for really?

I've read that GPON is shared and can slow down in the evenings but noticeably so? What about in the event of an error, is it easy to troubleshoot one over the other? The AON operator says we can buy services off multiple ISPs simultaneously, for example TV from one operator, VoIP from another and straight data from a third. Is this also possible with GPON?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buying services from different providers - COULD be possible with either but doesn't mean it will be. IPTV from ISPs tends to be done via a local multicast point to save on transmitting the same stream 30x on the same glass. This requires a level of integration. VOIP can easily go OTT as its tiny.

With GPON - Assume 10GPON in 5-6yrs time at most. Possibly sooner. There can be congestion on the fibre but it'll be rare enough IF the ISP don't oversell to far. An ISP can sell 64Gb to customers where they only have 2.5Gb capacity. Or they can sell say 10Gb on that 2.5Gb fibre assuming that you'll never all burst at once. Mostly a safe bet.

With an active network you'll never congest on the fibre into your home but you can totally still congest. The local service cab feeding your strand may have say 128 ports at 10g (1.2Tbps) but only have 2x40G links to core. Totally depends on how the wholesale ISP builds their net. Add to that what the retail ISP is able to supply.

The extra cost of an active network makes more sense for SMEs than it does for residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thanks Ed. Sounds like either will be perfectly good for residential use. The "AON guy" came first and I've signed up with them. They are actually cheaper (500 down, 100 up for €17.50 a month for two years, then €35 but I can drop-down to 250/100 for €30 and that's all I need). The GPON offer has no discount period and is roughly a fiver dearer so I'll stick with what I've signed and hope it's not congested on the backhaul.

Advertisement