Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phormiums (NZ flax) and shade

Options
  • 30-01-2022 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

I want to plant a phormium in full shade. Does anyone have similar?

Sun to Partial shade is what is recommended so I am wondering what the impact would be.

In particular is leaf colour impacted or is it just it won’t flower?

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tenax and Yellow Wave will grow in full shade. Most varieties will thrive in partial shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Brilliant

It’s full shade really, no direct sun. Corner near house that faces north.

But not deep deep shade.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

It will be fine, they don't flower much anyway and what they do produce is unexciting looking, I do love the leaves though. I have loads around the garden, some in pots, some in the ground, different colours and sizes. The bog standard version grows huge though, the varigated ones generally smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You can have mine if you can come dig it out my garden, I hate it, and it's now massive

You poor thing! I've a contorted hazel that seems to think it's in Jack & the Beanstalk! Pain when they get too big.

When researching phormiums I did come across this video on pruning them. Might be too late for yours though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I spent a few days last year digging a massive one out of my garden, along with a massive cordyline. Major pains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Same here - and several more to go. I hate them too. They're probably not too bad if kept in pots.

Cordilynes (small ones) I just cut off at the base and dose with weedkiller.

They're a bit alarming when massive. Bit like a triffid!

I'm still going to plant one obviously😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Just don't plant the bog standard type, the variagated tend to be smaller but read the label as they give an indication. I have 2 dwarf ones as well, very cute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Apart from the video above does anyone have advice for pruning one that's reached biblical proportions? Like 10-12' tall. I tried it a few times but came up short, best bet seems to be to go in with a slashing implement down low.

I have one of these but it's just the wrong shape to go at it.

Thinking this might be a better bet, but not sure if it's available:

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/axes-mauls-and-machetes/machete-24-385091-1004

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My gut feeling on this would be (based on relatively limited experience of dealing with them, and machetes,) that you need a fair bit of shoulder and arm muscle to do anything of that nature with a machete. Mostly the blade will bounce off the flat surface of the bunches of leaves given they are as massive as you suggest. A billhook used with a diagonally downwards chopping motion might be a better bet. Either way, mind your feet and legs. What are you proposing once you have cut it down? Is it to come out completely? I wonder would a bow saw cut through the stems? If you can't go at it with something of digger proportions, I suspect you are going to have to nibble round the edges of it and take it out a stem at a time - tying the leaves up with a loop of rope would keep them out of the way while you work.

Thanks Looksee,

The main goal would be to just put manners on it and allow the lamp post in the drive to actually do it's job and light up the place. The phormium has engulfed it entirely and I can't even get in at it.

From what I've read it'll grow back from the stump. I know the leaves themselves won't regrow tips.

Great suggestion on the saw. I'm rich in all sorts of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They can get quite big.

Yep, they can bully the garden if left alone. Those don't look out of place there as they are big plants amongst big plants, mine are in the middle of an open space and they totally dominate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could be worse - you could have a well established pampas grass, now they are a problem to get rid of, like chopping down razor wire. 😀

Advertisement