Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance cover abroad

Options
  • 30-01-2022 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All, thanks in advance for your answers. I am currently on my second provisonal A licence (39 yrs old) and doing the test in next couple weeks. I am hoping to pass obviously and plan a trip abroad with a friend on the bike this summer.

My question is, do insurance companies have a timeframe I need to hold a full licence before giving european cover or are they all different? As I have a full car licence, I believe I dont need to be on an N plate so does this make a difference when travelling abroad? I cant find any answers in policies I have viewed online so any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd contact your broker/insurer tbh, or just read your own policy doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I believe it should be a black & white matter. You are either licensed or unlicensed... that is the opinion of the licensing authority and is not up for interpretation by the insurance companies... so, as soon as you pass your test & have informed your insurance company, you can get on a boat and ride in a country that recognise the Irish licensing system... I'd still ask the insurance co. though

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bit late to reply but insurers are obliged to give you 30 days (IIRC) third party cover in other EU countries, as soon as you have a full licence this will apply.

You should check the policy T&Cs, if you have comprehensive or TPF&T this is usually extended within the EU up to a certain number of days per year but the insurer is not obliged to do this or could charge extra.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement