Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Excessive Usage Warning

Options
  • 31-01-2022 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I got a email a few days ago from Vodafone telling me about my Excessive usage and how it was impacting the network. They said in the email i either immediately cut back on my usage or they may suspend or empose some restrictions on my service. I live out in the sticks and don't have access to fixed line broadband so my only option is mobile broadband. im on the Vodafone Unlimited broadband plan. Just wondering did anyone else ever receive an email like this one below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know roughly how many GB you downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Or uploaded?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GOMO throttle you when you go over the limit. You get a warning at 80% and it resets at the start of the month.

Check Comreg Siteviewer to identify which masts are near you to see which of 3/Eir/Voda have the best signal.

What speed do you connect at ? Slower connections use up more slices of time and so are a heavier burden on a cell than faster connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To see your FUP I think you need to have an account. Their general terms reference it but don't say what it is.

Chances are you're top 5% if not top 1% if you're getting that email.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

i have vodafone for many years and my usage varies anywhere from 300-500gb a month! i dont see why they are only sending these emails now. i Dont see how my usage could be affecting there Network. if anything it shouldnt be now since 6 months ago they upgraded the mast to 5G here!

They tell you unlimited with supposedly no FUP and then this stupid Email!

• Advertisement

Getting Really good speeds since they turned of 5G here .. used to get like 3-7mb download and now it never drops below 30 at its worst

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

VF site is crap to navigate for T&C, and these terms contradict itself on the same page. Its either unlimited or it is limited to <unspecified number>.

Lots of BS.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/bill-pay.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

Anecdotally I am told by more rural family that the Vodafone network performance has severely declined in the last 12-18 months following decades of being the only viable option to them.

A combination of Covid of course, but also the launch of unlimited data plans across the board.

Vodafone don't want high usage customers on their network - prohibitive pricing for data was the way they have managed their network capacity up until recently.

Being forced to offer unlimited packages in order to keep up with their competitors I suspect that those using more than Vodafone would like will start being managed off their network through their (no doubt deliberately) vague catch-all T&C clauses.

Unlimited on paper only.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I agree that unlimited should be unlimited but with in reason, like 2000Gb p/m I think is reasonable.

Interesting they also note in the policy (9) it is the type services and their purpose is used to determine the usage flag.

Id like to know what services raise red flags; torrents, gaming, working from home, adult ET, 4k Youtube videos all day,

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cafard

Got the same at the end of January. I called their customer care, and your man had to do multiple back and forth with "the network team" to get the information I was asking for, as in "if there is a limit that you expect me to respect, what is it?". I got told multiple times that it "depends on the area and the local network infrastructure", until finally he came back with a hilarious "100GB per month" which he kindly offered to double for me. Needless to say, I mentioned that this wasn't gonna cut it. That's my main Internet access for a family of 5, all of which use netfliz/youtube/twitch/steam for their own purposes and I'm working from home.

Anyhow, I suspect your man was feeding me bullshit, and that the actual trigger is higher. I had 800GB logged by the router, but that was from the 4th of Jan, and there was probably some heavy home internet traffic during the end of the holidays, so I was likely over 1TB, which might have been the trigger. Anyhow, long story short, he told me this was a 3-warnings things, and that following the warming, the account would be monitored for 5 days, after which I'd be in the clear if I didn't receive another warning. So I fell back on to my DSL line for the time being (good thing I didn't ditch it when trying out 4g in August...).

Honestly, I'm a bit at a loss here. How does one get proper broadband access in this country? My DSL line clocks at 9Mbps down, 670kbps up, and the 4G broadband that works like a charm can't deal with the family usage it seems. As for fibre, even though neighbours 3 houses away on the same road are connected, the NBI has me scheduled for "between January 2025 and December 2026"...

Are we supposed to have multiple 4g contracts and switch them around whenever one reaches a limit?

• Advertisement

its all Bullsh* its either unlimited or its not! if they cut my connection ill just have to use another sim card as i dont have an alternative for broadband where i live.

And for them to say its was negatively impating the nework in my area i believe that is crap as im always getting very good speeds from the mast!

@cafard

Are we supposed to have multiple 4g contracts and switch them around whenever one reaches a limit?

What limit?

This is the trick, as its called Unlimited and its not defined in T&C's

I would seek for printed copy off ALL T&C's that does apply to this plan to learn THE LIMIT on unlimited plan, let them show me where, with my signature on this plan does it say "100GB, but i will make 200 GB for you", would take it from there.

just pathetic BS

Well, the issue is that T&C do mention fair usage and that they can take action should your use impact the service for other users. That bit is on their end and difficult to disprove. I can certainly confirm that there's no illegal or commercial use, but heavy traffic impacting their end? Well, that bit I can't say much about. Anyhow, I'll see what happens if/when they send me another warning in a few months. At least it's not one of those contracts where you get charged per extra MB, so worst case scenario they dump me and I'll find another provider. Really wish they'd hurry up with that NBI rollout...

Anyone, pretend that you are potential new customer for this unlimited mobile broadband plan , curious to know what you are entitled(or limited) for premium you will pay and follow their maze of links till you get to the point where it says FUP 100, or 200 or even 1000.

Please post screenshot or link. I'm genuinely not able to find FUP definition. Seams very handy position, tomorrow they will say its 10 GB or 10 MB

On the link you posted, if you click on 'Plan Details' then 'Terms and conditions', you reach the wall of T&C. The one that applies here is 'Vodafone Unlimited Mobile Broadband Terms and Conditions'. Chosen extracts:

9. Use of, and access to, Unlimited Mobile Broadband is strictly subject to you using our Services for your private, personal, and legitimate consumer purposes only. You must not use the Offer for commercial or fraudulent purposes. If Vodafone is of the opinion that your usage is contrary to these principles; for example if your usage is excessive to the extent that it is negatively impacting the Vodafone Network, or if your usage constitutes commercial or fraudulent use or is in breach of the law; Vodafone reserves the right to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict use of the service or to disconnect you from the Vodafone Network. Vodafone will make reasonable efforts to contact you before suspending or terminating the Services but Vodafone are not liable for any loss you may suffer through any suspension covered by this condition.

11. Vodafone reserves the right to withdraw Unlimited Mobile Broadband generally or from any particular Customer at any time and to vary or amend any element of the Unlimited Mobile Broadband at any time without further notice. These terms and conditions may be varied or amended by Vodafone for any valid commercial technical or operational reason as set out in the General Terms and Conditions of the Vodafone Mobile Telecommunications Service.

So basically, according to those T&C, they can do what they want at any time.

This where my #8 screenshot came from. No ceiling defined and, apparently, no floor. Basically joker card contract: "we got your money, you got our ... whatever we choose to say or do."

Well, I'll leave it at that for the time being and see how it goes. Next time they get in touch for this, I'll follow the ComReg procedure and lodge the complaint with them. An alleged 100GB a month for a €45 a month 'unlimited' contract has to be a sick joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Stiro05

Hi lads, I was looking at signing up for unlimited broadband plan, and I asked the question about FUP. I have attached screenshot stating there isnt one, although I am wary of Vodafone

Yes they will tell you that but there is always a scam around! Just like me and that email i got .. If they think your usage is excessive they will threaten to turn you off . Just be Cautious of Vodafone ! Although since that email my data usage has not changed and i haven't gotten anymore emails

Advertisement