Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Creighton was too associated with a catholic right wing ethos with their anti abortion stance.

Renua by extension then is linked.

People are hugely disillusioned with the old mainstream political parties and a lot of people have latched onto sinn fein.

The thing a lot of the sinn fein voters need to cop on is they don't represent them as workers especially if they are low paid, they actually represent non workers more so.

And the biggest chunk of non workers that sinn fein represent or want to represent are the freeloading immigrants they want to bring to this country.

When people find how just exactly what sinn fein represent and what they can actually do they will look for an another alternative.

I am not allowed discuss …

I've always found that Sinn Féin only represent themselves and their RA buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

As you well know, yet you're pretending not to, it's very hard for any sort of new party to rise no matter how high the demand for a new party is, nearly every nation in the world is proof of that. In the UK, there's a great desire for an alternative to Labour or the Cons, but it hasn't happened. In America there's a big demand for alternatives to Reps or Dems, but it hasn't happened. Being the established parties is somewhat like having a market monopoly, and monopolies are hard to break no matter how much demand there is.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Just seen this

It's truly mad what's happening to "our" country. We're nothing more than a globalist experiment, that's heading nowhere good.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How? Irish citizens are applying for Irish passports

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There was no demand for them, that's why it was a spectacular failure. It's very basic maths.

If you have tangible evidence to the contrary by all means fire it up and I'll gladly take a look.

As for the UK and an alternative to Labour or the Conservatives, that's exactly what the SNP did.

What are you basing your "conclusions" on?

I just gave you a recent example. What have you for me?

As you rightly pointed out, in instances where first-past-the-post voting is used, the system invariably becomes dominated by 2 parties.

The opposite is the case where there is proportional representation which by its design, encourages voting across a spread of candidates and parties

All par for the course, I don't know any party, budding or otherwise that mimics your fictional wish-list.

Personally I don't think an Anti Immigration, Anti Trans party would be taken seriously here.

The reality is the vast majority of people don't give a flying fúck about either issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean we've got a housing crisis. It won't take much extra for a party to spin that and anti immigration together and run on an Irish First policy.

You do know that Irish citizens can be born outside of Ireland and are therefore quite entitled to apply for Irish passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

This country is going to be royally screwed a few decades from now! It's gonna be ugly.

Self inflicted too, we're just shooting ourselves in the foot as a nation with brain dead decision making. That's the saddest part about it. :(

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

We have had some sort of housing crisis continually for 3 decades and beyond.

Would have happened by now.

But in reality if some absolute lunatic came out and said he could cure the housing crisis by implementing X immigration policy, he would be roundly ignored.

Way I'd see is much like an individual or family has to live within their means, so does a country, and we're not doing that.

Creaking health service, delays in most aspects of the public sector, not enough guards to keep the peace, housing crisis etc so adding more people on to that seems stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah but realistically we already have that with the National Party and they are going nowhere.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

If the birth rate is on par with replacement where is all the extra people coming from. And 3 decades your talking out through your arse now. There was an abundant of houses after the boom.. couldn't even sell them. Even in dublin. Even apartments in the city centre ya couldn't shift

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

Creaking health service - Its been "creaking" since the foundation of the state and always be. Its why the position of Minister for Health is a poisoned chalice. Regardless of how much money you pour into health it will never be good enough, such is the nature of the beast

delays in most aspects of the public sector - Same here again. If you want to pay 80% tax rates to get a public service that sorts everything out within a 24-48 hr period you can, but nobody will pay that so we get what we pay for

not enough guards to keep the peace - I always find this one amusing. Ireland is, by a long way, one of the safest countries in the world. Its not perfect, no country is, but again, if you want 5,000 Garda station, patrols on every street, etc etc, you'll have to pay more for it

Housing crisis - When has there not been a housing crisis? Either too many, not enough, too expensive, negative equity, crap builds, ghost estates and so on. There's always been some issue with housing in Ireland for as long as I've been alive. I don't see that changing regardless of this scheme

Sure yeah, bulldozing ghost estates and 50% negative equity is exactly how functioning housing markets operate.

Arsé you say. Indeed. 🙄

Indeed, but some nutter blaming all ills on immigrants isn't going to fix any of that, is he?

• Advertisement

No, but it'd be handy to not keep on bringing more people in when we don't have the resources for the existing people in the country.

Its like having thousands of credit card debt and still thinking you should buy stuff.

My mention of the trans rights is the reference to modern absolute lunacy we have now reached where kids in school can decide what bloody gender they are by the day and teachers can be sanctioned if they don't play along with the farce.

And no only an idiot would base a party on those two things.

There is a lot more like our modern welfare careerist state where some demand forever homes where they desire whilst ordinary workers can fook off to where they might be able to afford a home with a lifelong mortgage.

But more and more people throughout the Western world are getting sick and tired of the shyte being pushed by most politicians, the mainstream media, NGOs sponging off taxpayers, celebrities.

But there is without doubt a major recession on the way.

The good old quantitative easing splurg over the last decade or more to prevent a depression post the financial crash has only created an even wider gap between the ones at the top and the rest of the people.

Yeah it prevented meltdown, gave some growth, but a lot of it has been to create shyte jobs like zero hour contract jobs for a lot of people at the bottom.

Wait until the real effects of the great automation dreams of the likes of the multinationals and silicon valley which will be nightmares for people at the bottom.

And when people get pi**ed all bets are off.

Occupy Wall St, Trump, Brexit, Yellow Vests, the rise of right wing parties in almost every single European country, bar of course our own, have been warnings.

But yet the idiots continue to ignore them, lambast the people as idiots, arrogantly dismissing them as fools.

30 years back how many right wing politicians were being elected in European countries ?

People like Jean Maria Le Pen were being laughed at, now his daughter is scaring the baysus out of the President that he is talking tough on immigration.

Ah but sure we can't ever go right wing or ever have a jihadist attack.

I seem to remember some saying we could never have a property crash either.

The biggest thing I am noticing from the proponents of the increased immigration particularly the economic migrants/refugees/asylumm seeker kind is that they continously dismiss things like effects on services, affects on housing, effects on healthcare/education, etc.

They counter that our health service was always a mess, that there were always housing issues without any increase in population due to immigrants, that low skilled non skilled immigrants/asylum seekers have no effects on housing lists, etc.

It makes one think the proponents of low skilled/non skilled immigration don't live in the Ireland where you have to live at home with your parents because you can't afford anywhere, where you can't afford to get proper healthcare because you are not on a medical card and can't afford private health insurance, where you are on a medical card but have faced years on waiting lists, where owning a home is a pipe dream and when you do get one it is nowhere near where you grew up.

It is almost like the proponents never will face the side effects of all these immigrants they want.

Ah but they will get some nice new food and maybe some cheap labour 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Good post raising some very valid issues.

One thing I’ve also noticed about proponents of mass immigration is that many of them have limited stake in the future. I have two young kids, with a third on the way. Frankly, I’m concerned that my children will come of age in a country that is virtually unrecognizable.

On a more practical level, I’m worried that the quality of their education will be impacted. We live in a highly diverse part of West Dublin. My eldest daughter is now in primary school. About one third of her class require additional English language support, which obviously impedes progress.

We’re tolerating this right now, because she is so young; we are reading to her and teaching her maths and Irish at home to ensure she stays ahead of the curve. We’re also actively looking for a new house in another area, closer to my wife’s family. There is simply no way I would countenance remaining in this situation in the long term.

On a human level, I often bring my daughter to school when working from home. Some of the immigrant mothers, who scarcely speak English, are lovely to my daughter and make a big fuss of her, mostly because she has bright blonde hair and they’re always saying how beautiful she is. It’s nice to hear as a parent, but unfortunately it doesn’t cut the mustard when considering the caliber of education on offer.

It’s very easy to be dismissive of changing demographics when you’re not impacted by it. Many parents are and I’m personally aware of families in my area who actively avoid a local primary school, instead choosing to send their kids to less ‘diverse’ schools in commuter towns. Not a particularly healthy development for society, no matter what way you look at it.

What an entertaining post.

Truly, I chuckled more than once

You are scaring yourself needlessly.

We'll be grand. 👍️

Will we? TBH even without the issue of immigration, I'm not so sure that Ireland, and perhaps more importantly, Irish people will be grand. This is becoming a damn expensive country to live in, and for what? Failing services, trouble for most young people in getting housing, even rental accommodation, the costs of just about everything are back to Celtic tiger times, and that's without the economy booming similar to those times. Even when you look at the rising costs, and find things like the cost of food which have decreased, on average, but when compared with ten years ago, the cost increase is impressive. [And before pointing to how successful the economy is, perhaps take a look at the debt built up by both companies and institutions over the years... in addition to the debt crunch in the US with relates to the multinationals here in Ireland... It was a serious problem before covid came along.. and it's worse now. We're on very thin ice]

People are concerned with immigration because it, generally, does add to the demands on the services, and it's questionable how much return comes from migrants, because many of them will be sending a fair chunk of the income abroad. Look at the reports from Western Union, and the concerns the Irish government had a few years back, about the amounts leaving Ireland.. It's a sizable amount. Then, there's the aspect that many migrants will have families which are larger than the Irish norm, and have greater demands on those services provided by the State to all people living here.

Oh, we'll muddle through, but how many Irish people will suffer as a result? That's the question.. and what are the long term consequences of what is done now? I've seen little to no interest in doing projections on the Irish economy, society, and how immigration factors in, especially with consideration of the patters of results that have occurred in other European nations. Will we have the violence that has manifested in Sweden? Will we have the social fraud that happened in Denmark? Will we have the disconnect from 2nd/3rd gen descendants of migrants, as has happened elsewhere which has contributed to social unrest and gang violence? There's no interest in planning for the future. These things have happened in other Western nations, with immigration playing a large part of it, but there's little to no interest here to prepare and avoid this from happening here.

Instead, it's we'll be grand. It won't ever happen here, because.. well, it just won't.

Glass half empty guy, eh?

I don't share your doom laden prophecy, I have been hearing the same for decades.

You'll be grand. Plus it's Sunday.

👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Oh, do you? Humour us so and tell us what “asylum seeker” means.

(clue: it’s in the name).

Then, based off this definition, explain to us why it is illegal.

• Advertisement

More of a realist. Not terribly interested in promoting "la la" land, and ignoring all the people who never set inside those gates.

Advertisement