Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Thank you. It’s gratifying to note that you’ve finally processed the idiocy of this scheme. Better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I wonder is there a term in the english dictionary for hatred for ones own race of people.

Seems to serious issues with certain people on this forum and in government. Has to be a mental problem.

'ones own race of people'

Who is that exactly?

Really? You have data around how many people have signed up hitherto?

• Advertisement

I don’t think it’s a case of hatred of one’s own people. It usually comes down to people with limited or no stake in future of this country.

Obviously not as figures won't be released until all applications are processed.

Nevertheless, the scheme is open and people are applying. I personally know of a few who will be going through it, delighted for them and their families

So basically haven’t got the slightest notion how the scheme is progressing. Got it.

Not sure how you manage to turn a lack of released info into gloating, but you do you lol

What I can say for definite is there will be a lot less undocumented in Ireland once this scheme is finished as they will be legal and allowed to live and work freely and avail of services like you and I do. They will also be on a path to full citizenship too which is feckin brilliant.

As to how many that will be at the end, we won't know until the end. Could be 5k, could be 50k, we'll have to wait and see. I'll be happy regardless of the number 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭Tow

It is being well advertised, along with advice on how to apply.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I doubt it.

Does the scheme regularise failed asylum seekers? I doubt this also.

A few of the articles have made reference that Asylum seekers would be eligible to be included. It could be an option to allow those appealing decisions to change their application, avoiding the appeal process(es) and becoming normalised migrants instead.

As some failed Asylum seekers have escaped/avoided deportation, it's likely that some of them are still here illegally, and so, the initiative would include them, giving them the legal status to remain in the country.

If that’s true, it really highlights how defective this scheme is. To some extent, I can get onboard with regularizing e.g. a Filipino carer, who initially came here legally and stayed on, without causing any major issues a decade or two later. I’m not thrilled about rewarding their flouting of our immigration laws, but what’s to be gained from removing them now.

However, failed asylum seekers are a different matter. It’s known that a high % of them arrive here with spurious back stories and the deliberate intent of subverting the international protection process. They are a burden on the state from the moment they arrive and many of them do not have the skills to be economically self-sufficient in the long run. Frankly, it’s ridiculous that their applications to remain are even entertained.

I guess I should just accept this as apparently they are particularly well dispositioned to fill the skills shortages in the the hospitality industry. Employers are even sniffing around direct provision centers to source their amazing skills sets. This is the level of rubbish to which some proponents of this scheme have stooped.

There seems no real reason to allow asylum seekers apply for this, they are already in the system. Just because they can apply doesn't mean they will be successful. Particularly anyone who has had their application turned down. Perhaps it's just a pre-emptive thing against court proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Well not be overtly pedantic I would presume the poster is referring to Irish people as a race no?

Where the term race includes colour, ethnicity and nationality or national origins see for example

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/protected-characteristics/race-discrimination/

People who share the same colour, nationality or ethnic or national origins are therefore part of the same race or racial group. Of course you can also have people who share one or more national, colour or ethnic origins. It's fairly basic stuff to be fair.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

I have no idea because he did not respond. Do you think the poster believes everyone on boards is irish?

His post made little sense

If that’s true, it really highlights how defective this scheme is. To some extent, I can get onboard with regularizing e.g. a Filipino carer, who initially came here legally and stayed on, without causing any major issues a decade or two later. I’m not thrilled about rewarding their flouting of our immigration laws, but what’s to be gained from removing them now.

What's to be gained? I do think there's value in standing by our laws, and requirements for visa applications.. I imagine that those requirements have been researched and determined to provide the minimum level of education/skills/aptitude, and personal backgrounds to benefit the nation the most. I'm also not terribly interesting in enabling people who have broken our laws... because being illegal means that they've broken other laws too, by tax evasion, the use of certain services or facilities without contributing, etc. Nobody who has been here for years will only have broken the immigration laws alone, they will have broken other laws too, and have encouraged the unofficial markets or supported others in breaking our laws. Who is to know what they've been up to while they've been here, as the culture and community involved will be hidden from most of us.

I sympathise with those who are good people, but it wouldn't be difficult to leave and return with a valid visa... so I wonder why stay here for ten/twenty years illegally the whole time, and what kind of person would live that way. Ireland is supposedly a country of laws, and people who abide by those laws. It's one of the major differences between Western nations and other countries, with the focus on being law-abiding as being part of our culture.

I guess I should just accept this as apparently they are particularly well dispositioned to fill the skills shortages in the the hospitality industry. Employers are even sniffing around direct provision centers to source their amazing skills sets. This is the level of rubbish to which some proponents of this scheme have stooped.

A skills shortage forces the market to change. It forces businesses which are flawed to close up, and better ones, more suitable for survival to open up. There is this attitude in Ireland that seeks to avoid businesses or industries from being forced to adjust to changing environments.. even though it is healthy for an economy to see businesses fail, and new ones open to replace them.

Hospitality as it stands today is not a viable model, because of the costs of living in Ireland, and the shift of people being more educated, and thus wanting better salary outcomes (to compensate for the cost of living, and expectations for standard of living). The same for workers in slaughterhouses, fish gutting factories, or whatever. It's the normal cycle for a first world nation, that needs to adjust to a new phase in development. Perhaps it would force the government to focus on reducing the costs to the employer/employee in economic terms? rather than propping up systems that no longer are workable.

Or.... we can encourage the growth of a low socio-economic group within our nation, just as Britain, France, and Germany did, creating problems with dependency, social unrest due to expectations, and massive wealth/life inequalities. Which is what we're doing now, by encouraging people with few opportunities/skills/education for social mobility to come stay here, to work in positions which are unlikely to provide a decent standard of living without State supplements.

That's the problem I have. We're setting ourselves up for a world of hurt, because we're unwilling to learn from the mistakes of other nations, and refuse to adapt to a changing environment. Technology/innovation provides a massive range of options to decrease our needs for low-skilled workers... but nah.. It's obviously better to encourage a new poor class in Ireland, who are distinctive in being another ethnic group, and they're never going to get annoyed at being relegated to that class (people rarely blame themselves for their own shortcomings in terms of education/skills when it comes to success)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If we had 80,000 Japanese the Luas would be like the Tokyo underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It just being used to clear the board over 9000 in direct provision , they will all get Granted this ,then the next lot that arrive they can move on to the promise of 12 weeks from arrival to their own front door accommodation (aka council houses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't really see how this is goods news.

We are rewarding people who have broken the law with citizenship.

This is giving two fingers to immigrants who followed the correct process.

We have a housing crisis where irish citizens are struggling to find somewhere to rent.

Yet we are going to be adding thousands to housing lists at a time where we already having a housing crisis.

Not really sure how what benefits the Irish tax paying citizens get out of this.

It doesn't benefit Irish tax paying citizens at all but other sectors are benefiting massively, hence the reason it's been done.

It's not citizenship.

These people already live here so no extra accommodation required.

It's a benefit because it will bring more people into the tax net, it stops employers from taking advantage of illegal immigrants with regards to working conditions and they themselves not paying correct taxes

They were living here ilegally so unless I am wrong they could not apply for the housing list or social welfare.

They probably had several people crammed into an apartment where they can now all apply for social housing and social welfare.

These people are more than likely working in low paying jobs where they will most likely pay little or no tax.

The social welfare will probably pay as much if not more than employers who were exploiting them were paying, so why wouldn't they apply.

They are living here illegally and have broken the law, they should be shipped out of the country.

Here is just one of the many ways the illegal immigration scam in Europe is allowed to flourish. Schemes like ours only encourage this. Ordinary Europeans continue to pay the price.

Numbers entering Europe are going through the roof, Half a million claiming "asylum" every year, huge numbers of family reunifications, resettlements, untold numbers of illegals etc. etc.

Governments throughout Europe refusing to deport people because it'll make them look bad.....

So, just assume all foreigners are going to live off the state? They don't do it now, there's no reason to believe they will in the future.

Who said to assume all of them are going to live off the state?

I assume the employers who are paying them pittance are not going to start paying them all minimum wage.

If the employers won't pay them minimum wage and you now qualify for the dole, medical card, moved on to a housing list why wouldn't you live off the state.

Also the reason none of them live of the state now as you are well aware is because they don't have that option.

I'm not sure a Daily Mail article is a strong basis for anything, regardless of the topic

• Advertisement

Very true, 30+ years ago, I worked in a clothing factory in Dublin employing 550 people.

no longer viable to make clothes here, the company now in the far east, industries dependant on cheap labour, simply can't operate here

Advertisement