Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

LOL, you can keep literal slaves in Ireland like the Clondalkin takeawy owner that employed an illegal, seized his passport and paid him 50 cents an hour with no overtime for an 80hr week.... and the government didn't even prosecute him, in fact he went to the courts to fight a ruling that he owed his slave back pay and the courts ruled that Mr Amjad Hussein didn't have to even pay the guy that slept on the foor of his takeaway because he was here illegally. Fortunately I see that ruling was over-turned, but it took a 6yr legal battle to do so.

This is our immigration system in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That offence started 2002 till 2009, surely you can find something more current.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No mention of prison but a more substantial fine should be paid for his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm sure I could and you're free to look, it's just the example that stuck out in my mind because it was so unjust, but it's hardly likely to be an uncommon occurance since we do little to no immigration enforcement here. I worked with a guy that was illegal and yet somehow managed to get into the country and hired by a multi-national, he only 'departed the company never to be mentioned again' after one of the girls in the office idly googled his name and discoved he had scarpered from the UK becuse he was facing sexual assault charges... Again, our immigration system in practice.

The reality is that there are probably thousands of people like the Clondalkin cheff working in takeaways, as fishermen as nannies and in the sex industry and you're not going to hear about it because nobody wants to lift the lid on how our immigration policies feed into literal slavery.

• Advertisement

Thankfully now thousands of illegal immigrants who have been at the mercy of unscrupulous employers can now be afforded legal protections.

I would expect that the WRC have given them hefty fines, for breaches of employment laws.

Ukrainian folk to get special refugee status which will effectively treat them like EU citizens, allowing them to live and work without restrictions

RTE news : Ukrainians to get special refugee status here - Coveney

I see Coveney mentioned Ireland getting 20k Ukrainians.

Maybe we should use this as a chance to change tactics and start deporting the 17k undocumented.

That way it makes very little difference to the living standards while accomodating genuine people. Win win for all. 17k spoofers gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Another new Dublin Hotel closes to accommodate asylum seekers.

Nowhere in the planning documents was this mentioned of course. The local community thought it would be a hotel, jobs, tourists, investment, instead it will be another nearly 400 bed slum in the city center which is already affected by huge social problems. Another community done over, not consulted.

Imagine if the planning application was for a 400 bed 9 storey asylum seeker accommodation instead of a hotel.

Another community conned.

Just last week we had the hotel near the airport shut it's doors.

As for the asylum seeker spike...tell people they just have to stick it out a couple of more years and they get their own keys to their own pad. The lack of basic common sense, the disconnect from reality is alarming.

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Pretty much. What’s the endgame to all this? Buy every hotel in the state to house asylum seekers, a high % of whom have no legitimate claim to being here? Continue using Irish tax payers money to facilitate chancers?

Zero planning, zero logic, and zero benefits to this country and its people. It’s the product of having truly inadequate people at the helm, in the shape of McEntee and O’Gorman. The only positive is that the true extent of their incompetence will reveal itself as the ‘system’ is overwhelmed. The question is how much damage can they inflict on this country before they are handed their arses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Will they be handed their arses though. Just walk off into the sunset.

Big pension in hand.

Rules for being incompetent and or corruption need to have a lot more severe consequences in this country. Especially when it comes to being a TD or minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I tell you, I'd be fairly harsh on any forms of illegal immigration to the country and equally bogus asylum seekers. Some would find that harsh and try to label me.

But I'll tell you, I'm very proud of how our state is removing barriers to the people fleeing Ukraine to be able to come here and find support comfort and safety as much as is possible.

And this is exactly what the asylum system was supposed to be. I'm fully supportive of the government plans to open our door and bring them in.

If I had space in the house I'd take in a few if it was necessary but I don't have the space. That doesn't mean I won't get involved locally and help out if/ when the people start arriving.

These are the type of thing we should be opening the door and rolling out the red carpet for. Genuine refugees fleeing war.

We should not be wasting resources on every chancer who can pool together 5k to get here and spoof their way to being impossible to remove. If we were more diligent in this regard, just think of how much the state could really do to help Ukrainians and others seeking genuine refuge from wherever they're fleeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

True. We all recognise legitimate asylum claims from Ukraine in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So the price of hotel rooms goes up because of the lessening of competition meaning less visitors coming to the city….

less money being spent.

so we are paying for the double whammy of accommodating and feeding these assylum seeking individuals but with all the numerous hotel rooms closed off to genuine visitors less visitors will be coming here to enjoy and contribute to their enjoyment and our economic wellbeing…

Facilitating Undocumented in addition just means our coffers are being emptied quicker then getting filled almost, or at least that might happen..well a multibillion deficit is forecast for this year and next year…great.

This country is Donald ducked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

On about building modular homes on state land to accommodate the influx. Good to know that we can sort out other people and not our own with the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly… taxpayers needing a dig out, not get to the back of the Q but don’t come near the Q at all……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Would these be built to existing spec? If so we're still fecked.

Reducing the requirements for new builds from a regs perspective would help greatly. Let people decide what matters to them.

Remember someone on Twitter comparing Ireland to Lille, every single one was to small to be built here

Dublin City Council looked at building modular houses about 10 years ago and even had various ones on display beside the North Strand fire station, however when it went to tender, there was little or no interest from suppliers

Advertisement