Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

Options
  • 31-01-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I’m hearing through the grapevine that Country Sports Ireland is having difficulties with providing insurance for ROI members.

See posting from past few days on their FB page.

Insurance providers are leaving/have left this country in droves, bad for competition as the few who remain can basically charge what they like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't know much, in fact almost nothing, about insurance but given that there are an estimated 155,000 people with firearms and over half would have cover under different schemes it leaves a very small number of people (allowing for the fact that all the remaining people go with CSI) seeking individual cover. That is not counting those that don't bother with cover.

Could it be a case of liability too large for the revenue they make from providing cover?

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

More than likely it is a UK company that was/is providing cover, and now with Brexit has found the market either too bureaucratic with EU legislation or small to cover to make a profit.

Choices are now for CSI is find a EU insurance company with coverage over here in Ireland, or some local Irish company. And one who won't bottle once the antis start screaming at it about supporting hunting. As they are doing at Allianz for insuring fox hunting packs.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

All true Grizz, all the big underwriters are UK or EU based.

I think their insurance was provided by Willis Tower’s Watson Ireland and underwritten by Sportscover Europe.

It’s getting a lot tougher out there in the insurance market and unless we get new players in place we are in trouble.

I probably won’t be around to see it but one of these days and it’s not too far in the future we will have no country/rural traditions/pursuits left.

What with inept governments/departments (past and present), old and lax legislation, EU legislation, the green agenda, antis, lead bans, scarcity of land, limited number of registered ranges, etc. etc. The cherry on the cake is only one or two insurance providers left and the possibility of no insurance providers down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭garrettod

Having been forced to move from the NARGC last year (due to their rediculous rule about needing to be a member of one of their associated clubs), I joined the IFA's scheme and must admit, I've found them pretty good. While I havent had to make a claim (thankfully), I've found their customer service good, and also like the periodic email newsletter that they circulate.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement