Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What "SPECIAL EDITION" CONSOLE have YOU owned ?

Options
  • 31-01-2022 5:03pm

This thread topic was inspired by a YouTuber who uploaded a range of videos about special editions of the nintedo gamecuve and microsoft x box 1 among others.

I owned a Nintendo DS 3D XL Final Fantasy edition in 2013. Sorry, no pictures, I gave it away.

Relevant Consoles were made by SONY, Microsoft, Nintendo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'd a few special edition Zelda 3DS XL's, the Windwaker Gamecube (which was just a platinum one really), a God of War white PS3....i used to enjoy having them but the novelty of special edition consoles wore off me. Nowadays I enjoy the look of a minty clean stock console more than any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Does this count?

Don't think I've had any really. Think I have a few special 360s knocking around somewhere is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've a few special edition or weird variants of consoles. But the most recent (and I still enjoy looking at it) is the Sakura Edition Japanese PS2.

Classy machine @Steve Allen

EDIT - Tagging system slow to update, so wrong name tagged. No apparent way to edit an embedded tagged name, and no apparent way to delete a post on mobile....quality forum user experience Boards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I actually don't think I own a single special edition console at all come to think of it, was never really into them. Have owned loads of weird and wonderful consoles but they've all been in their stock standard form.

Saying that, those Sakura PS2s are gorgeous!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ff15 ps4

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I’ve a princess peach 3DS I won off Club Nintendo , think they only made a few hundred of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

same as o1s1n never was interested in any "special edition" consoles 3ds doesnt count as there probably wasn't even a std edition one !😁

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

I've got the Windwaker WiiU, the Ocarina 3DS and the SNES 3DS XL.

Like some others have said, I prefer a good stock looking console now.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The Snes 3DSXL was always on my list, always thought that was very tastefully done.

I also at one point had a Famicom GBA Micro that I was very fond of, totally forgot about that. Really regret selling it now, was such a great little console to just fling in your bag with a flash cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Not a special edition but I've an Original Xbox with full xecuter mod not unlike the the one pictured. I've a 3TB drive (2.2 TB can be used) and adapters ready to install in it. Have it stored away a few years now waiting for a day when I can get it fully restored and running.

I've about 1O OG Xboxs including a rare green crystal edition and 4 green crystal edition controllers. All with mod chips (some of the chips are very rare now) or TSOP bios flashed or both. Each with 500GB IDE hard drives which where new old stock hard drive which I got my hands on a few years back.

Post edited by Confused11811 on

I've a boxed Tribal SP actually, bought from new by me in Smyths. Forgot about that. Also a crystal Xbox, also bought from new by me....both very common however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had an even rarer GB Micro, it was also modelled after the Famicom but its faceplate was to look like controller II.

Also, it was not branded Nintendo, but iQue, so it was made for the Chinese market.

I sold it onto Monkeyfudge, formerly of this parish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

These special edition consoles come out so late and I'm usually an early adopter that I'm too early to get them. I do have a crystal xbox but pretty sure they are hardly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Its the colour of the buttons more so than than anything else. It looks great but I still find it too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had a yellow Pokemon Gameboy back in the day...not sure if it was that limited tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

This is legendary, hard to take your eyes off it. I wish I had the commitment to do something like this when I was younger instead of keeping it clean as possible for resale value like a coward.

Football sticker is not needed though - not a comment on the team, just no need for the outside partisanship when the rest is such a pure & true love of all things SEGA.

Kudos to "Ger", think he's figured this whole life game out tbh.

Might start using 'Friend of Sonic' as a cryptic euphemism...

Master of the Universe

I had stickers all over my PS1 back in the day, which I very quickly removed when I got into collecting old consoles - kind of wish I'd left them on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I tippexed the Megadrive in the house thinking it'd look banging in white. Wasn't left to my own devices much after that, funny enough.

• Advertisement

I took the man U sticker off actually. The rest stays where it is.

A friend of sonic is definitely one to put on the cv

Master of the Universe

SHARPER THAN A CYBER-RAZOR CUT!

Not sure what that means but I love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some Megadrive fan you are. Do you not remember the Sega advert with that slogan? Pretty sure it featured a load of images of garbage in ROM form Greendog.

Edit: Found it

Master of the Universe

Unfortunately the shock of the Sega forum closing lead me to down a dark road - at my lowest point, the depths of my depravity, I even ended up collecting games for the Jaguar and 3DO.

I am very very disappointed. If the Sega forum was still here you'd really be in for it!

Funny fact, the guy in those ads was in the Highlander series for years as a pretty main cast member

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The other guy is Steven O'Donnell, aka Spudgun in Bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've a Pokemon Stadium Battle Set N64.

I also have a Pokemon Pickachu N64 Ltd edition, a funtastic Grape Purple N64, a funtastic Fire Orange N64, a funtastic Ice Blue N64 and a White Red N64 console. There are still 12 Limited variations that I'm hunting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Good to see they used some sort of PVM in the ad :)

Advertisement