Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What "SPECIAL EDITION" CONSOLE have YOU owned ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I just see the dude from Stargate SG-1, Tanit or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I didn't even cop that. Didn't recognize him at all.

That's him too. I never watched SG-1. I was still young when it was on and seeing a big budget film now on a 90s TV budget was a big no no for me!

Plus Kurt Russel was and still is my favourite actor having him not in it really made me hate it on sight 🤣

Ah, SG-1 was prime watching for me at like 11pm-12am in the late 90's(97/98) on RTE 2, or probably called Network 2 at the time. I'd be just home from working in the local hotel(part time while at school, so only 30-40 hours a week 🙂) and it'd be on. Good times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is it just me or was there always scifi on TV somewhere in the 90s? I remember watching TNG daily on Sky 1 at about 6 or 7pm, either before or after The Simpsons.

I think Quantum Leap was on before The Simpsons at one point too. Fairly sure SG1 was on in similar daily rotation.

• Advertisement

• Uh a few.. haha.

Pikachu N64, Pikachu Gameboy Colour, Pikachu 3DS, Pikachu n Eevee Switch (that’s the Mrs)

Red PS3 (and soon white), MGSV PS4

Crystal Xbox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Same here, there was a set of shows on Network 2 at the time, I'd watch the likes of this, Earth: Final Conflict and Nowhere Man, I think a reboot of The Twilight Zone might have been on at that time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think that might have been a reboot of The Outer Limits? Really loved that.

Do you remember a short lived show called Earth 2?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Watched all them myself , SG1 is a great show one of my favourites. Earth two I think only lasted a season. I think Sky used to show say Quantum leap at 5 in the evening then the same ep again at 11 at night. They would do this for the entire run of a sci-fi show like that then switch to SG1 or the next gen and do the same thing showing the same ep twice a day for its full run. V at one stage as well i think.

The outer limits was brilliant too. I remember watching other shows then on Sundays like “The pretender “ or Earth final conflict , which was brutal but there wasn’t much choice back then !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I seem to remember RTE running two episodes of TNG together as we were so far behind the US

• Advertisement

Spookily weird. I refered to Denise Crosbireb in one of my comments on Facebook today - Tasha Yar in startrek TNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The new twilight zone was on then too. I used to watch it about 11pm on my 14 inch tv, when I was still in school, with the volume low so wouldn't wake up the rest of the house. Forest Whitaker was the presenter I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

He was, I remember it well. It may even be sitting on my Emby server too actually, along with many other 90s greats. SG1 was (still is) an epic show. It got the 1080p treatment there relatively recently, looks great.

I was thinking of that one myself!

As with you, I would watch this stuff with the volume low, in my case so I wouldn't wake my wife!

It was like a secret little treasure, no one else I knew was watching these shows and, as they were on late, it was just me, the tv and snacks.

Dark Skies was another one, pretty great show, kind of X-Files vibe and set in the 60's, with a great cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I have the odd shaped Pikachu N64 with two matching controllers boxed with Pokemon Stadium. Not mega rare but not something you see every day, a completely different shaped console not just a colour change.

Have quite a few SNES boxed variants too, green allstars, yellow allstars, Mario world (two types), super soccer, FIFA variant, a few hole in the box variant, Scope variant, starwing variant, street fighter 2 turbo variant, a few double paks, a few with just the console and a few super Famicom variants I can't remember what was bundled. All complete in boxes, definitely leaving some out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

1080p Stargate? Now i have to watch it all again. No choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Are you talking about the Pokemon Battle Set?

Or the Pickachu edition?

Because the Battle Set is the normal shaped N64 and I haven't heard of any Pickachu edition coming with Pokemon Stadium. Is it not a PAL console by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I had to check there. It's the second one you posted, it's just got a sticker on it saying stadium is included, probably a smyths toys or toys r us thing. I've the separate box for stadium with some memory pak included.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Enjoy....

Edit - it could be a 720p upscale, can't remember exactly....but it blows the previous dvd quality away regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Phew, I was worried that there was another variant that I need to track down.

• Advertisement

I've got the new 1080p Blu-rays on my Plex server. I normally plan to dip in and watch 1-2 eps, but 5 hours later I'm usually still stuck to it 🙂 .

Sometimes I'll watch a bit of SG-1, Outer limits and Podge and Rodge to re-create that late-night Irish TV of the late 90's. Not much decent quality Podge and Rodge online, so I bought the big DVD boxset recently and ripped and encoded to the best I could get from DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Only went through all of SG1 again back at start of the pandemic to tide me over during breaks WFH. Obviously a lot of guff episodes that I had to force myself to watch in the beginning and ending legs, but when it was good, it was really good. 10 seasons is impressive but all things considered, it obviously outstayed itself.

The Outer Limits probably had a run through a good few years back as a late night thing. Even the original 60s seasons. Always liked switching on the TV years back and just coming across a late night showing of them, or The Twilight Zone, Ray Bradbury etc ......Jaysus ! even Sky with The Hitchhiker in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The only special edition is my pink Hello Kitty Dreamcast and I only have it because it was a good price. €175 or so vs the €300+ they were going for at the time (late 2019 if I remember correctly). Near complete and was actually more complete than a lot of the ones for higher prices. Reasonable condition too.

The blue one was closer to €500-600 and less common. Each colour had a run of 1,500. I'd still like to get the blue one but outside of that I don't think I'll go for any other rare/special consoles due to costs. Several hundred per console is hard to justify when I can get a lot more for the money elsewhere.

When people see it in my office/game room it's a conversation piece which is nice because none of my family are gamers and my friends that are, none are into retro stuff so it's nice to have something to talk about when showing off the game room!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had a Pokémon Gameboy color back in the day.

I also had a clone NES system called the "NASA entertainment system" which we brought home from Spain around 1991. It had a print of mario on the console. It was a knock off special edition NES ! Still it was cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have the Resident Evil 4 silver GameCube, love it, but I'm still too much of a chicken to play the game.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

The sound of that chainsaw engine still gives me chills

Advertisement