Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic insurance - huge increase in premium

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Non Irish driving licences can't really get penalty points. Insurers worry drivers will take it that they can speed without consequences. Insurers worry risk if accident is higher. Those who are here permanently typically get Irish licence. It's a red flag and you don't want red flags when getting a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Ah ok - sounds like your cover is fine in that case, although looking at my current one it specifically states commuting. My old one actually said cover was for driving to and from shows / events only (that was a First Ireland policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭_ptashek_

Trust me, they can, and they do. I've got first hand experience. And if you swap your licence to Irish, all points recorded in Pulse are transferred as well, so there's no loophole either.

To your other point: How can insurers logically justify that risk of accident is higher after two decades of proof to the contrary? I understand first time policy, since there's no record to go by, but otherwise?

I've challenged all the big players on this numerous times over the years and never got an answer other than "because reasons".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Non Irish licence holders often "go home" so don't worry about their virtual points. They may also be experienced driving on other side of road and possibly with less strict driving test and not on road Irish type roads. As a result they are more likely to claim than those holding an Irish licence.

They can't take into account anything more than 5 years previous, as far as I know, but I think they can use date licence was first issued.

They are all just risk factors or red flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

My premium is that, give or take a Euro or two, although the car would need to be concours (or top notch) for a 15k valuation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement