Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect is 'A white male in his 40s with an Irish accent'

Options

Comments

• Your one’s getting a chance at bullshite sentence because judge nolan is the one doing it.

he’s soft on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

At least 10 per cent of people in Ireland are non nationals , Russian, Polish , European, Chinese. they don't have Irish acents. Many of the shops I go to have mostly non Irish staff, especially in cafes or fast food joints the should have videos of him from various sources there's not that many bikes of a certain model in a rural area. I watch comedys, documentarys youtube videos , I have given up watching UK or USA TV crime shows as 80 per cent of them are about women being attacked by men I don't see anything wrong with saying he is male in his 40s with an Irish accent if he had a Cork or dublin accent they would say it let's face it most violent crimes are done by Irish Males over 20 most non nationals here work for retail hotels cafes delivery apps or in the tech industry they come here to work and earn money they mostly don't want to get involved in crime . It's a bit weird going on here complaining about possible future discrimatipn to travellers or other minority groups

I knew 1 minority non national person who was involved in crime eg fake marriages for financial fraud

just being say Polish or German or maybe a traveller does not mean you are an angel an completely perfect in all ways and almost a saint

ah sure it's only the Irish lads that would dare to commit a crime

Remember there were ads in London in the 60s no Irish blacks need apply racism goes both ways

The Gardaí have limited imfornation are they supposes to pretend there's no Irish person who could possibly commit a crime in fear of causing offence to some snowflake woke person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I don’t think people are offended/outraged by the specific description of the attacker as a white Irish male. It’s more an observation that suspects in other crimes are not described in the same manner.

i would have had imagined the victim would be able to provide more details here - height, hair colour, build, clothing details? Perhaps the shock of the event means she can’t give more details.

Where any such details are given, related to skin colour or anything else, and the Gardai think it would help identify the perpetrator, they should be released

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It will probably soon be the other way about in certain areas as a white Male with an Irish accent will soon be a minority in alot of places in Ireland if we keep going the way we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

"I don't like this discussion topic so I'm just going to come in, tell everyone I disagree with they are a racist/idiot/homophobe/bigot and then promptly leave, thereby proving I'm a balanced, measured and informed poster capable of critical thinking".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You only have to listen to the radio in the last few days - ads running talking about scared women in fear of taxi drivers, of their phones dying on a night out, that their "bestie" didn't text them to say they were home etc

Don't get me wrong now.. no-one should live in fear and ANYONE (man or woman) who commits crimes like this is scum and should be found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but pushing this narrative that men in general are all potential rapists and killers is getting beyond ridiculous.

It's also incredibly insulting to women in my view by inferring they are all weak, powerless, nervous victims with no agency of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It's hilarious to read all of the perpetually-offended, right-wing snowflakes crying because the Guards said that a white Irishman committed this crime. They're aggrieved that they can't pin the blame on another horrible crime on some foreign insert-slur-here. Everything has to be about themselves, always playing the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're all bad people, and all that's required to shut them up is to show them one of the many, many, Garda statements where non white skin colour and non Irish/British accents were mentioned in suspect descriptions. Should be easy enough to do....right?

Seems to me that you're awfully annoyed that some men are seeking to join you on the altar of victimhood.

Everything has to be about themselves, always playing the victim

Which is pretty much the focus of women's rights movements for decades. Men are simply adopting what works. I do find it hilarious that you would call them snowflakes though.. what's next? They should just "man up"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Your fathers, brothers, sons and friends are not rapists and murderers just waiting for their chance to strike. You are not living under oppression in Ireland, one of the best countries in the world to live in despite its problems. When someone commits a crime and a description is released either the physical description should be released or not, it shouldn't depend on the perceived race of the suspect. Anything else is a double standard and of course people will have objections to double standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

^ Absolutely this. I am a woman. I am no more scared to make my way home from the pub than I’ve ever been (meaning not scared), shur as a woman I’ve had to take precautions sometimes when on my own but it’s not a huge sacrifice to intenionally avoid a particularly nasty part of town or whatever it may be, it’s called life.

But the double standards in reporting suspects’ descriptions that are now happening are so obvious and so grating, that I wonder if people on this thread essentially going “wah wah nothing to see here, shame on you for using the incident to further your horrible racist agenda…” are actually of sound mind..? But then again, I find loads of people nowadays blinded by ideology. It’s like some weird mind-plague in the West, seems to be highly contagious. Weird and scary.

You all know they had to release a description because they're looking for the guy, right? They don't normally release descriptions of people they have arrested because it's not in the public interest. This, however, is in the public interest because they haven't found the suspect and they want to find him. It's not like there was a crime and the guards took the chance to demonise the poor white Irish male while they were investigating.

Are you proud of yourself for slagging off women's rights movements after what's been in the news for the past few weeks?

No. They were also looking for a suspect in a recent case, yet the photo of him on the bicycle had his face blurred out, let alone anything actually mentioned re his physical features. They were looking for the information regarding, get this, the bicycle!🙄 The truth is that they were on “sensitive ground” regarding his distinctive good looks. It’s not like this is big news, it’s been going on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Getting the Colour and accent correct (Cawlur) 😏 extremely important, it might minimise the incorrect hysteria generated during a recent Tragic event 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Love how you seek to link what happened over the past few weeks with the women's rights movement. Greatest indication that you're jealously guarding your position on the altar of victimhood.

And I didn't slag off the women's rights movement. I pointed to the focus on playing the victim as being something that has worked very well. But then, your reaction is rather typical in that you would jump to an extreme when any kind of criticism is thrown in the direction of your opinions.

So, yeah.. your use of snowflake to describe others is rather amusing.

I remember there were similar cases where I thought, oh this reporting is strange, but I’m not going googling for you now. You can do it yourself. Or you can scratch that last sentence of mine. My point will stand perfectly well without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm not sure I believe you're either a woman or a non-national, but it doesn't really make a difference to my point. I agree, the vast majority of Irish people are welcoming of all whether they be Slavic or Swahili. The fact we don't have racially polarised politics similar to America is an advantage in how we go about avoiding these issues developing here. What we do have is a long history of knuckle dragging idiots who exhibited a form of racism borne purely out of living in a more or less completely homogenous state nearly all their lives, that was crude but innocent in a way as there was nobody from the targeted cohort living here to overhear it and get offended.

As you claim to be new to the parish I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you wouldn't have seen that growing up here. What we now have is their kids and grandkids espousing the same views they hear grandad spew on his armchair but the difference now is the target of the bile is here, for the vast majority working and trying to get ahead in life. They're the ones that need to be protected from the idiots I'm speaking about.

Lol, I’m not new here, I’ve lived in Ireland 20+ years now, and yes, as a woman from Eastern Europe, where I would think that my 12 year, 3000+ posts, history on boards.ie where I’ve mentioned those pieces of info many, many times through the years, would attest to it somewhat. But whatever.

There are racists everywhere, in any country on earth. The less developed a country is, the less educated the population, the more racism there will be, IME. Western EU must be one of the least racist places on earth, and then Ireland especially so, as i can tell you from my immigrant experience here. Where I come from, people think that other races are not even human! I mean, I guess factually they do know it, but they like to “forget” it when speaking about them. It is kinda frustrating then for me to hear about all of the Irish racists who I’ve either never met, or are keeping well shtum on their views in my presence… in 20 years of living here, in the west of Ireland. I’m sure they exist, but you have to be mindful of the levels that we are talking about. Ireland is not a racist society, nor would an EE shop get a brick through the window because this recent murderer is Slovakian. Keep some perspective here.

• Advertisement

Sure, while your own posts are the height of reason and objectivity. You’re funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Nothing strange about it. If a suspect is Irish they’ll be described. If a suspect is foreign, there will be no information given."

Wat if a suspect is foreign with an Irish accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

lol good post. Snowflakes is the perfect description.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

You must have missed the countless posts complaining about migrants here. Causing housing prices to go up, taking jobs etc. Eastern europeans get their fair share of abuse here and when I brought it up the other day one of these guys said ah sure they are OK because they are going to go back to Eastern Europe eventually lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

haha i was just thinking the same, when have the Gardai ever been 100% right, it's probably an asian trans man they are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 18,830 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As per the CSO stats I pointed out how Ireland is changing. A large percentage are now NOT Irish/and/or black Irish etc . Many are 1st gen Irish.

As a result it is only the nature of description to state he was white and had an Irish accent. As the person could not obviously place the accent but knew it was Irish. I really don’t see the fuss here sorry.

Crimeline (as the stereotype goes) regularly mentioned a Dublin accent with crimes in rural Ireland. Strangely there are no boards threads in ‘uproar’ about this?

This thread implies that it is White Irish Males being negatively targeted in the media. Which seems to be a general boards.ie thing among a cohort. Ironically borrowed from American sites a lot of the time.

It is implied that black people, travelllers, or non Irish nationals are never mentioned in the media. This is not true as I have shown two recent articles mentioning ‘black axe’- Nigerian fraud in Ireland. Complete with an image of a black Nigerian man. Also a rape case involving travellers in Wexford.

To reiterate my point -

Look at the article below in this case an Eastern European national was mentioned as a suspect.

No problem at all there either. This whole thread seems to imply there is a vendetta against White Irish Males. And other nationalities/races are never mentioned. This is plainly untrue.

This thread is basically a confirmation bias based on an article the OP quoted. And for some gives an opportunity to create an insidious type of boards type of agenda. It happens in many a thread.

Now PC stuff annoys me as the next. But in this scenario people on this thread risk making themselves sound silly. Because the demographics of Ireland are changing fast. If this annoys some so much. It could be an indication of underlying issues or deep seated opinions.

Opinions which IMO if left unchecked could lead to a more divisive and dangerous Ireland in the years ahead. Threads like this are how it starts a subtle creation of ‘them v us’.

Whether people like it or not the demographics of Ireland are changing.

That is just the way things are. In the OP’s case it is clear the man was not black and likely an Irish national. Given the Irish accent it would rule out Eastern European etc.

I really don’t see the problem. Perhaps some don’t like to admit that the demographics of Ireland are changing fast. If so they should get their heads out of the sand. Ireland is much more multicultural than when I was a young lad. For better or worse that is the future of Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Men from Leitrim with moustaches?😊😊?

This thread implies that it is White Irish Males being negatively targeted in the media

No it doesn't. People like you are just diving in and assuming that. This thread is about a notable peculiarity in how this suspect is being described. Have you ever heard the English police looking for someone with an English accent? Or the French describing a suspect as having a French accent?

It's unusual, ridiculous and basically silly so should be highlighted as such so it doesn't become the norm.

The ease with which people accuse others of racism these days is alarming to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The description in itself is odd, there are many types of Irish accent. Honestly id probably read Irish accent as traveler accent, but that might be my prejudicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

Yes well the thread is not about the terrible act that took place.

Advertisement