Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First gun

• 31-01-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

After a long process, including the guards misplacing my original application, I got approval from the super today, should be able to pick up my gun in a couple of weeks, a 12G over under Webley & Scott. Looking forward to learning to shoot properly, and getting after some game next season. Based in Cork, and a member of the Munster GPA. Also hoping to decoy some pigeons damaging crops over the summer.

Post edited by alex90 on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum. Seems a little odd welcoming someone that has been on the site for a decade, but welcome none the less.

Webley & Scott. Uncommon choice. Don't think I've seen or used one. What is it like, and what drew you to the brand.

Happy shooting.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭alex90

It was the best quality gun from what could tell, in my price range in Irish shooting sports, not that I know a huge amount about guns. It's barely been fired, other guns in the price range had a lot more wear on them. Not many of them around I take it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know of the brand, but Ireland is a funny place with people tending to stick to the "common" brands. Same goes for rifles, ask which you should go for (in a given caliber) and the results will always start with or be CZ, Tikka, Ruger, etc.

Its a combination of going for what we know, a "fear" of the unknown, and Ireland being such a small market that any other make is either not available or costs too much (again for something we're not overly familiar with).

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aWant4aNew

Good choice and well may you shoot.

I picked up a 12g Silma M80 sporter about 6 months ago for clays. Having been a deer stalker for 10 odd years, it’s great to do some more social shooting.

For anyone reading this and thinking of getting a more budget friendly sporter to get into clays - I’d highly recommend the Silma - 21/25 on my first outing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭JP22

Best of luck with your purchase, may it wear well.

Not up to date on the modern Webley & Scott firearms but they have a long tradition in making firearms. They started in the mid-18th century and produced many fine rifles, shotguns, flare guns and revolvers for military and police forces incl the RIC revolver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭alex90

The exact model is a w&s classic game, 12g o/u multi choke, this one has barely been fired its immaculate. Now to get shooting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Congrats!

Many years of enjoyment ahead...

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement