Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Performers subjected to racist abuse in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You hit the nail on the head in two sentences. Well done 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭standardg60

So you were unfortunate enough to be attacked by the homophobic gang, who are completely separate and would have nothing to do with the racist, gingerist, and all the others who are all out prowling the streets seeking their preferred victims?

No-one has an issue with calling them racist scumbags, it's why they have to reach the level of 'racist' before good people like yourself cry foul and demand action and say this cannot be allowed to happen.

Fair enough i suppose if you've no answer to the point i was making

• Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You weren't making a point.

Gingerism is in no way comparable to racism or homophobia.

This article imo explains it rather well.

This paragraph sums it up well.

Maybe read it you might learn something.

"Anti-ginger prejudice and bullying is real and harmful, but the idea that it equates to these systems of oppression is fundamentally flawed. It assumes that all forms of prejudice and discrimination are equal and occurring in the same context when they really do not. It assumes that all forms of discrimination are the products of individual bigotry and irrational prejudice rather than structural and institutional divides."

• Advertisement

Knacks are gonna be knacks. That's the area. Nothing racist about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No-one has an issue with calling them racist scumbags

You should read the thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The views on here are gas. It's not racist abuse because they're idiot scumbags. Are most racists well educated open minded people from good backgrounds?

I suppose all those Trump supporting yokel gun toting Confederate flag waving racists aren't racist either because they hate anything that's different and are idiots too?

So if the language etc was used in an attack in a "posh" area that would be racist....yeah that makes sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Sarn

No one should be subject to any kind of verbal or physical abuse. The male youths involved in this appalling incident are the type that tailor their abuse to their targets. In this case they were racist. From experience, the next incident could be homophobic, sexist or just general abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah no sh*t, racists tend to hate gay people too or anyone different

Go hang out in that square and see if anyone hassles you.

Well clearly i was referencing your reference to gingers in your post for satire, but sure trundle down that rabbit hole for deflection.

Of course they're idiots, just dangerous ones. Every racist is an idiot.

Clearly my point sailed over your head never mind.

I don't see that it did, but anyway. Have a good one.

Eureka, people who are 'racist' don't care who they pick on

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Pity there isnt a season on the little scumbags. I know thumping the head off em would also be illegal but who cares ? They're only gonna be drains on society for the rest of their shite lives anyways.

I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying.

While it's not acceptable and shouldn't ever be acceptable, it is possible to say racist insults to get a reaction and not be a racist.

Same as saying something homophobic and not actually be a homophobe.

It's unpalatable to think that, but it is true.

Granted, this may not be the case here as we don't know the full details, but an educated guess and Occam's razor would lead a rational person to believe it would be the idiot, abusive fuckers that hang around the area who were the main perpetrators.

I can't claim to know 100% for sure their motivation, but I have seen them abuse every colour, sex and age and use disgusting language each time and don't believe they believe or understand what they are saying, but instead are using words that will get the biggest reaction.

I believe these little fuckers were using racist language to abuse people, and yes, I agree that's racist abuse but to call them racist, rather than little **** bastards using horrible offensive language is diluting the word racist from people who genuinely deserve the moniker.

There is a world of difference between an actual racist (who genuinely feels superior and feels others are inferior because of their ethnicity/race) and a scumbag who will say the most offensive words in order to insult and provoke anybody and everybody who comes across them.

The old bait and switch. No one is talking about systems of oppression, it’s bullying, people shouting racist abuse. If someone shouts ginger abuse the criminals should be treated the same, but both should be dealt with.

“Bullying of ginger-haired people is harmful, but cannot be said to be as serious a problem as oppression of other groups” did anyone say that? I think the point is that the horrible racist people who shouted the abuse were just as likely to abuse anyone else.

It only becomes a problem in some people’s eyes when it’s done to a ‘minority’, which is odd. Equity is an odd thing altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It was always the roughest area in the city no amount of shiny new buildings will change that

The difference with immigrants performing abuse is that this is a preventable problem with a permanent solution - where we can deport the perpetrators.

We can't deport Irish thug youth, though how I'd love to.

Actually on second reading it says it was reported the the Guards. Which is good enough for me. In this case it must have been serious and I was wrong to have doubts. Hopefully the knackers involved get a visit from the boys in blue and receive some form of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'You don't know if they were business men & women out drunk.'

There's no chance of that. You're seen too many movies which you're confusing with real life.

It was a street confrontation with racist and homophobic abuse and threats of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Registered Users Posts: 17,089 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are you a visitor to Ireland?

People get racial abuse on a daily basis in Dublin. They always have. All my life. Its so common place that it rarely gets reported. This only hit the headlines because its performers from a Disney show.

Single black person at a bus stop. Bus might not stop. Single black person with white people & bus stops every time. In many pubs the black customer will be the last one to be served at the bar. Happens everyday of the week somewhere in Dublin

Ireland is a racist country. It always has been. Look at the comments. They aren't racist. They are scumbags. If a scumbag rapes someone they are a rapist. Someone caught messing with kids is a paedophile. But racial abuse is swept under the mat. We won't call them racists for their racial abuse. Ah sure it probably wasn't racial at all.

Scumbag is a wide ranging term. It could be middle class guy or women who beats their spouse and children. It is a cheating spouse. It can be an out of control teenager. It can be high up bank staff who lied to the government and central bank and almost bankrupted this country. All scumbags. Not all of them are racist though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If we can use hate laws to bring some accountability into the lives of this feral scum then I am all for it. There are no consequences for their behaviour otherwise. If this wasn't the Lion King cast there would be no consequences in this instance either.

I cannot agree that they are not racist. These guys hate everything that is even slightly different to them so are about as racist as you can be. Just because they have low intelligence and are fairly ignorant of the world around them doesn't make it any better.

In general I would have said racism is largely based on ignorance however by your rationale there are no racists, just ignorant people who do not know any better

I'll say it one last time, the people who frequent that area would gladly shout the most derogatory/insulting remark about anyone (black, white, gay, disabled, tall, short, ginger, oddly dressed) in order to provoke the reaction that they want.

In this instance, it was racial abuse as it would be the thing that would most offend the actors. It shouldn't be excused, it shouldn't be accepted and it should be condemned

In my experience though, people like this do not genuinely believe the insults they are shouting so I would be loathe to call them racists, as that should be, in my opinion, reserved for the bastards who genuinely dislike people because of their skin colour/ethnicity.

I admit, there is a chance that these people are just a marauding gang of actual racist people who specifically want to target black people based purely on their beliefs, but as I said, the most likely scenario is that these are the usual fuckwits that are just opportunistic thugs looking for a fight and to intimidate people using disgusting language.

Ireland is not a racist country. It's ridiculous to even suggest that

I absolutely get where you are coming from.

But what I am trying to say is that although there was undoubtedly racist abuse thrown at the performers, the main motivation for these incidents usually isn't racial. It's to provoke and intimidate anyone and everyone through the lowest means possible.

• Advertisement

I'm not a visitor to Ireland. I grew up in Dublin with one of my best mates who's parents came from Ghana. I have been in the city centre in Dublin with this guy many many times, day and night and I never witnessed a single incident of racism. On the contrary it seemed like people went out of their way to be polite to him and I was often barely acknowledged. Sadly he was a much bigger hit with the ladies than me also, but that's another story.

What you are describing is a fantasy. Does racism happen? Yes. Does it happen on the scale you are describing? Absolutely not. My question to you when you casually throw out that "Ireland is a racist country. It always has been", is this: Compared to what country? If Ireland is racist, then which country are you comparing to that isn't racist?

Advertisement