Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House, old 5.1 system

Options
  • 01-02-2022 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’ve just bought a new house. It has a big open plan kitchen/dining room/living room with a vaulted ceiling. The previous owners added the extension around 12 years ago and they integrated a Sony STR-KS1200 AV Receiver with 4 small speakers mounted up in the roof, a sub and a centre speaker. They are fitted into a cabinet in the corner with hidden cables running over to the TV on the wall over a gas fire. The remote is missing from the av receiver and I don’t think it’s anything fancy anyway.

I’m wondering if I should just scrap what’s there and get a soundbar to mount below the TV.

or should I get a new AV Receiver and use the old speakers and sub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends if you really want the full surround sound. Often you don't need the remote, you can sometimes adjust from source. You need a source that has full 5 channel audio, so depending on sky or DVD etc. you need matching cables to get full effect. Personally it needs a dedicated room with the seat in the middle, dimmed lights and a film worth the effort to enjoy such as an action movie. Maybe hook it up for a while and decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks for the reply. I decided to bin the old system as it was fairly basic 12-14 years ago. I’m going to go with a new Sony Tv with a SkyQ mini box mounted on the back of the tv. New TV wall mount and I’m going to get a Sonos Beam for sound. The Beam should be fine for streaming Spotify and radio too.

Advertisement