Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Look-ups & the morals of it

• 01-02-2022 5:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently read a post from the Legal Genealogist.

She doesn't think it's right for people to look up something on a subscription website for someone else. I don't necessarily agree with her, but I wondered what people thought.

I'm quite comfortable with helping someone out as long as it's not excessive.

My feeling is, as a professional, if the terms of service say I can look something up for someone in the course of my work, then there's a grey area. Even as a pro, I don't maintain a subscription to every single site (hello Fold3).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

As above, I don't mind doing the odd look-up, particularly for those just starting out who may not yet know what's available from the various subscription sites, and I'd dare say at least some of those I've helped have subsequently paid for a subscription themselves.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm not a professional and I have received free information here before for which I was most grateful. However, over the course of the last 15 years I have paid a heck of a lot of money to the paid sites and after the initial years of research where I got the bulk of my information, it eventually dribbled away until now I can't find anything. When I did have subscriptions I did look up for a few relatives and friends but they were elderly people in their eighties who don't have computers/internet etc., so there was no chance of Ancestry or Findmypast getting a penny from them so I was happy to assist. If I felt it was becoming a habit I would just say my sub had run out so couldn't get any more information for them. On one occasion when I happened to mention that it was an expensive hobby one kindly old chap sent me a 20 euro note. I felt mortified, and ashamed to think he felt he had to do that. I don't have any subs now so I'm in genealogy limbo for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

As Pinky says, there's a grey area when you're a professional genie because the subscription site already accepts you are using your searches for the benefit of a third party. If they agree to that, I can't see why you shouldn't occasionally use your access to help someone who isn't yet a customer but could potentially become one. In other words, it's a marketing tactic - to be seen as a nice guy/gal who's prepared to help someone without insisting on payment for every little thing - and could help you pick up more paid work. That would be my argument, and I don't see anything dishonest about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I feel Judy is adopting a very hard line.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I disagree with the Legal Genealogist and dismiss as nonsense her comparison “It’s like asking your neighbor who has high speed cable internet service if you can run your wire to his modem so you can use his service. Or if he’d mind sharing the password to his router so you can use his wireless system.”. A look-up is a single event, not a stream of service, it is like asking a friend with similar interests and a Sky Sports subscription if you could call over to watch a match.

Ethically I see no wrong in providing an occasional look-up. It actually is an endorsement of a company’s product (“Look, a subscription with X can get you this information and more.”)

On the other hand, (and I know some of these have recently been watered down)

How ethical is subscription auto-renewal? How ethical is it to make the cancellation of auto-renewal difficult?

How ethical is it not to divulge that some information provided is from a ‘free source’ / external sites e.g. Familysearch without alluding to it being available free of charge  directly? 

How ethical is it to use search engine optimization to promote a service selling BMD certs at a multiple of GRO prices?

How ethical is it being specious about the size and content of newspaper databases? 

How ethical is the practice of using or sharing your DNA data?

How ethical is it to hard-sell advanced DNA tests that are far too complex for an amateur to understand?

I work in an industry that is heavily supervised and regulated and were any company in my sector to advertise, manage its products and behave the way the geno companies do, they would be hit with very heavy fines and sanctions.

The misleading information / advertising by most of the genealogical companies is considerably more unethical than an occasional data-share by one of its subscribers. The Legal Genealogist should be telling the geno companies to get their houses in order before having a pop at someone who asks for or provides a look-up on an occasional basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Surely if you classify yourself as a legal geneaologist and you decide to help someone free,gratis then that's upto you, after all, sometime in the future that person you helped may well decide to employ your professional services for a fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭VirginiaB

I am not a professional genealogist but just doing my own family. I see no problem with doing look-ups for others. The genealogy community has been very generous in helping me and I try to do the same for others. In my opinion, it would be unethical for me not to help others.

Advertisement