Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old wheels/frame to give away

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

ahh! When I got back home, I found the little cable 'stopper' thing on the ground that goes on the downtube (see below) - you can see in the original photo that I had put on a Simplex gear lever for the rear mech - something had happened to the STi lever some years ago and I just swapped out the mechanism so that I could use the bike on the turbo for a Christmas charity thing I was doing that year.

Anyways - I'm not sure if you have one, or if they can be easily got these days (probably not I'd say), so I can maybe post it out to ye? DM me if ye need it. Bike was made around the time I think STi levers were sort of 'a new thing', so the bike is a bit of hybrid in that it can run with gear levers or with STi. Maybe you were going to run it with levers, in which case ye don't need it but just let me know anyways ;)

This is the bit which was there before the lever swapover, which I kept for all those years....and it must have fell on the ground when I loaded the car this afternoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I have loads of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

@magicbastarder @eeeee unfortunately, after raising the saddle, and with the long stem, it looks like I can make it fit.

@8valve text me and we can organise those Mavics for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

State of that stem situation, best I save you the shame and take it off your hands 😝😝

Ah no well wear cletus!

• Advertisement

I'd say I might be able to shorten the stem a bit, even 😁

The plan for the bike is to keep it in my classroom at work, and have it to take spins at lunchtime, or when I've a class off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Turned out well!

That steerer/stem arrangement would make your eyes bleed though 😆

awwww! 🤗 lovely to see it looking like a bike again, instead of in the corner of the shed behind me ladders! But yeah that Stem is wild looking alright! Not sure how I even had such a long stem in the toolbox, but I remember it nearly had me in the superman position it was so far forward for me! ha!

(I'm sure the Mavics were the wheels on that bike, and so that cassette should match the bike....the cassette there on the Fulcrums I think might be 10-speed, so ye might need to swap them over. Probably you already spotted that though!) 👍️

Yeah, that was the next step. Just wanted to see would the frame fit, and the fulcrums had tyres and a cassette.

Thanks agin, Andy, its much appreciated

Quick thanks to Andy69 once again.

Said I'd post a picture once the bike was rideable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Looking good. Great to see another vintage bike back on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

I’ve a few quill stems there. Cinelli, 3TTT and a set of bars I won’t be using.

Cheers, WOT. I'll have a look, but I'm trying to keep the spend on this to the minimum

in the spirit of the thread, free to a good project. I took them off a bike. 110mm stem there and a ~42cm bars if you want.

Please do tell me more about these quill stems....?

Where are you based WOT? I'd be interested in a Cinelli stem, the bike has Cinelli handlebars. I'd want to pay at least a nominal fee, though

Just occurred to me, that may not be the stem you took off the bike. As long as it's silver, I'll be happy 😁

I’ll have a rummage in a few days. D3/D5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure you could make one yourself!

• Advertisement

42cm centre to centre at the hoods and 44cm centre to centre at the drops

100mm reach stem and 17 degrees

Both are 3ttt and presentable when taped but there are a few scratches on the bars at the centre.

I'd be happy with just the stem, WOT. Be easier to post too.

@cletus send me a pm with an address and I’ll chat with a local carrier pigeon about delivery.

I'd be interested in the second stem and both bars, if available?

If so, PM and we can arrange?

@8valve i’ve your name on the bars and on another stem which I know is there but that I’ll never use.

will pm at some point…..

Much appreciated.

Surprisingly, they can be among the hardest bits to track down for restorations, unless you source a complete bike, especially in 44 or 42cm.

I've a fu(k-ton of frames here to do, probably enough to keep me busy for a year or two!

I'm probably keeping this thread alive longer than it needs to be, but I just took the bike out for my first spin today, and I have to say it's a lovely bike to cycle.

It's nice and light, which is ideal for its current intended use (spinning around Naas on my time off from work), and it's a real pleasure to just hop on a bike and go for a cycle, no need for all the gear, just a "t-shirt" spin

This will probably be the last post to this thread. Bike is finally ready for cycling.

There were some reservations about the stem setup, thanks to WOT for sorting that out. Shifting has been sorted by 8valve.

New bar tape, and finally I swapped out the look clipless pedals for a set of flat pedals, considering the intended use.

Thanks again, one and all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Quill stem looks so much better. Dark hoods a nice touch too - all in all, a great result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i will give you TWENTY EURO for that. final offer, cutting my hand off, etc.

Advertisement