Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Scratch Cups 2022:When do the 'top' courses have theirs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭fungie

Thanks @plummer77, nearly missed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Booked.. Had the alarm set and all.

Tralee on Saturday followed by Ballybunion on Sunday. A week before that I'm playing Royal County Down.

All because of this thread! Thanks lads. I'll probably shoot 100 and give up golf, but I'll be happy 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Is Ballybunion The Old Course or The Cashen ? I remember ringing a few years ago and they said the Junior would be on the Cashen course, nice course but it wouldn't be worth the nearly 4 hour round trip for me .... Old Course would be a different story though......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Can spectators just rock up and watch players in the likes of Ballybunion Sunday ?

• Advertisement

It's on the Old course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'm not sure it would be much fun watching 8 and 9 handicappers hacking their way around Ballybunion. You would be on your own there

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dosulli8

Some spots coming free on the Tralee Scratch cup timesheet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Few spots available for the intermediate. Junior still fully booked.

Few spots left in dooks junior scratch cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone Golf Club Senior/Junior Scratch Cups on Sunday 22nd May, 18 Holes.

Host club of the Connacht Mid Amateur 2022

Senior :: + to 3.1

Junior :: 3.2 to 9.0

Phone 0906492073 to make a booking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Killarney junior/intermediate on 28th May

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Quahog217

What's the bracket for Junior do you know? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Junior 2.5 to 10.4

Intermediate 10.5+

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi,

Signed up for the Ballybunion Junior scratch cup. I was in the handicap range (3.7 to 10.6 IIRC) when I signed up but now I'm outside it. What happens? I presume I can still play (they have my 50 euro!) but not in the competition. Not that that makes any difference, I'd be lucky to break 100 off the blues :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

I doubt they will let you, fairly sure there are no dropdowns allowed. I would check with them before traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I actually think those handicap ranges are far too wide by the way

3.7 to 10.6 index are two separate leagues of players completely. Would love a breakdown of winning handicap index per category

Should be 5 shots max being each category

<4.9

5.0 - 9.5

9.6 - 13.9

14.0 - 18.9

19.0+

Something like that - Obviously you're diluting things a bit but the gaps going by the above poster are rough

That's the problem with scratch cups. Invariably won by those close to the lower handicap limit. Can't see anyone off 10.6 winning in BB on Sunday. I suppose there are nett prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh exactly

I suppose for a lot of people, all they want is a cheaper way to play some nice courses and don’t mind their result

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Looks like you have 4 days to get the handicap back down!

• Advertisement

If you're HI is outside the bracket you can't play. Just ring the club and you'll get the fee refunded. There is a waiting list of 10+ golfers to take your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm down for one in Malahide on Sunday. Handicap range is 8.4-19! But I'm just curious to play the course since it's on my doorstep.

If you make the ranges too small you'll hardly have anyone competing in each category. But it is fair to say that a 19 handicapper would have virtually no chance of winning it.

I suspect they'll have a net prize too. But if I could shave a shot from my handicap that would be the real win!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

Short notice, but Galway G.C. Junior Scratch Cup on this Sunday.

36 holes, shotgun start 9.30am and 2.30pm, open to index 3.2-8.5's.

€40 entry for visitor (includes lunch) and entries close tomorrow at 5pm.

79(+7) won the tralee junior scratch cup on saturday. Serious score considering the conditions.

One of the toughest rounds of golf I have ever played in my life. Back tees, blowing a gale and greens like glass. Absolutely destroyed me and many more but yet loved ever minute of it. What a course!!!!!!!

I thought it was much tougher in Ballybunion. Much more rough and higher winds. Felt longer too but could be wrong there.

77 1st, 78 2nd and 79 third in BallyB

77 was a serious score for the day.

Are the results published anywhere?

• Advertisement

I found Ballybunion really hard. The combination of distance and wind made it very difficult. I'm very short off the tee and struggled to make a lot of the fairways (The 11th #shudder). That said, it was a fantastic experience. It really is a glorious place and everyone I met was really friendly and welcoming. Fair dues to them for running it (and Tralee too) for such a cheap price. The same round that cost us €50 will be sold to am American on Monday for €275!

Hats off to those that played both Opens. You must be exhausted

Advertisement