Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant PR2 wheels question

Options
  • 02-02-2022 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what Giant's PR2 disc wheels are like in terms of relative quality etc ?

They've come as standard on my Contend SL Disc, and seem perfectly fine, however I'm looking at getting a spare wheel for using on the turbo in the winter and was considering whether to spend X amount on the cheap and cheerful turbo wheel, but then thought if the stock PR2 wheels are already base/entry level, I could maybe spend a little more and get nicer wheels for riding, and use the PR2 as the turbo wheel (obviously all depending on costs). I've very little wheel knowledge and have no idea where they would sit compared to the more well known entry-ish level wheels such as Aksiums, Ksyrium 30s, Racing 7, Racing 5 etc etc. so would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

If they work, they are ok. Heavy, yet cheap but can take abuse and can last a for 1000s of klms.

My rear wheel on a defy advanced 2 2020 was faulty from the factory. Rear hub issue as it was over tightened in the factory and could not be removed. Giant replaced the whole wheel with no issue at all. They really stand over warranty claims although it took months to get the wheel due to supply issues.

While waiting, i bought a set of hunt aero 33 carbon wheels at €930. They are stunning and its like a new bike when they are on.

Currently have the pr2s back on as ill be selling the giant in june and want to keep my carbons shiny and new for my new bike. They are fine for what they are. No issues with the new pr2 wheel and they look good.

There are good alliminium wheelsets to be had for around €500 that would be an improvement over the pr2s and also much lighter. So yeah, i would if i were you. Hunt 4 seasons might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have PR2's on 2 bikes. Had a warranty replacement on the first after a couple months (freehub), but that's been fine since. I did have a couple of broken spokes on the rim brake, and decided to get the wheel rebuilt with stronger spokes as I was planning some audax and a foreign trip and just didn't want the hassle. I've only just upgraded the rim braked wheels, but saving them for less full of crap roads - I know everyone says first thing to do but I hadn't really felt the need until now which I suppose says something too.

I'd say they're on a par with the entry level wheels - maybe a bit heavier, but they're a bit deeper too.

Advertisement