Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sides are your brakes on??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've been reasonable used to riding rental bikes in France over the years so had gotten used to left front (albeit having gotten a fright first time I grabbed the "rear" brake). Then about 5 years ago I was changing the group set on the road bike, and through being tired/rushing to finish managed to fit the cables front/left, right/rear and couldn't face unwrapping the bar tape to swap them over.

I've never had any issues since with the brakes being that way (they're the opposite on my other bikes) and can swap between the two comfortably. Signalling hasn't been a problem either. My commute home involves a fairly steep gradient on a dual carraigeway finishing with a roundabout where I have to turn right, and I can manage the braking/signalling fine regardless. That said, I've developed the muscle memory to shift my reasonably substantial bulk back when braking, and extremely rarely grab the brakes, so I would agree that locking the front brake inadvertently while going downhill probably wouldn't end well

Advertisement