Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam, Brussels and Bruges

• 02-02-2022 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭✭

Went away last week for a few days

Amsterdam day 1- flew in last Tuesday and the place was in lockdown so the day was spend walking around seeing the sites and eating a 'special cake' that was fun ha. It was quiet sad seeing places shut over there. Got the train from there to Brussels

Brussels- spent 2 days in Brussels. Buildings esp around Grand Place are breathtaking. Done the Atomium tour and it was OK but nothing too spectacular. The views from it were amazing. Done a small museum that accompanied Manneken Pis and thankfully it was free on my Brussels card. No way would that museum been worth paying for. Few good pubs around Grand Place and a few that were a little dodgy esp around the area of the my Hotel (hotel floris arlequin grand-place). Overall its a nice city with some amazing buildings, transport links are good but some of the trams very run down. The people were not overly friendly and lots of homeless people on the streets. I'd be mixed about going back, felt much you could do over there regarding tourist stuff this time of year

Bruges- got the train down to Bruges for the day and what a place it is. Breathtaking medeival buildings. City is a lot more compact compared to Brussels. Done the tourture museum and a beer brewery tour which were both great

Amsterdam day 2- on route home spent another few hours in Amsterdam and with the lockdown over since Wednesday (yes I know it was hugely frustrating seeing that) it felt like a completely different experience. Dam square was way more busy and is such a great place. Done Madam Tussauds which was very disappointing I thought but probably comparing to the London one which is probably more unique. Hollywood/TV really make out the Coffeeshops to be this wild place with everyone so friendly but didn't have that experience in the De Dampkring. The smoke was nice but you had to buy a beverage to smoke inside and there a bit pissy about hat wearing. Done the Ice bar which was a bit of fun but so gimmicky. That street was surreal and that's all I'll say

Overall nice to see different countries and great to get Amsterdam off the bucket list. I would definitely go back there, I'd be wary of going back to Brussels but Bruges would be a place I'd think about going back too

No idea where in Europe may be next, Scandinavia maybe

Advertisement