Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't know what fuels these sort of scumbags but unfortunately it does seem to be happening with alarming regularity at the moment.

As for what can be done?

Well, for starters, more Gardai (and I mean a sh1t ton more) recruited so there can be an increase of visual policing. And also actually bring Gardai equipment up to a modern day standard. Body cams and stab vests as standard issue would be a start.

Secondly, and equally as important we have a full review of judiciary sentencing, especially for crimes of a sexual nature. If mandatory sentencing is the only way to head off soft touches such as Martin Nolan, then fire ahead and do it as far as I'm concerned.

Only if you’re looking to actually solve the problem rather than generate donations for useless NGO’s.

People saying they would attack anyone presumably would call for more police on the beat in those areas.

How do people claiming sexism(edit) is the problem intend to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

^^^ more of the usual "training and education" bullcrap there @[Deleted User]

The problem with that , and the likes of consent training and so on, is that it is all totally preaching to the choir and the converted. The people who might be inclined to avail of that sort of training and actually take some sort of heed of it are probably not the sort of people who will be out battering harassing passersby and raping people.

The sort of scumbag or mentally ill person who does engage in that behaviour would not give 2 fuks about that sort of training, and if they were somehow made to attend it, they would just laugh at it and take no heed of it whatsoever. it would probably embolden them further if anything.

People just don't seem to understand the class of bastard you are dealing with when it comes to this sort of street harassment and violence.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

"waaaa what about us what if we were attacked no one would care I'm a white male help me"... you're top of the food chain buddy be thankful of that.

Stupid statement.

One could say it's the same way a female in the western world is top of the food chain and protected by all civilised men.

Civilised men can't stop scumbags attacking or killing civilised men or women.

Scumbags are Scumbags

By your rhetoric, all violence against white rich people is irrelevant because we are top of the food chain.

Wow! Shouldn't you be out cleaning a beach, or some thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭yagan

Going by the thread title does it make it right if it's women attacking women?

The problem with that , and the likes of consent training and so on, is that it is all totally preaching to the choir and the converted. The people who might be inclined to avail of that sort of training and actually take some sort of heed of it are probably not the sort of people who will be out battering harassing passersby and raping people.

I didn't say anything about consent classes, because I do believe they're a useless idea.. not only for the reason you stated, but because they'll invariably be created by feminists intending to push their ideology, similar to what happens in "women's studies" courses.

People just don't seem to understand the class of bastard you are dealing with when it comes to this sort of street harassment and violence.

Oh... I suspect most guys do, because we've had our own run-ins with such people either while growing up, or as adults. We also are aware that they're not representative of most guys around.

Earlier in the thread, I asked you for what you believed men should be doing to stop this kind of violence... since you chose to start the thread. Or was it just to provide a platform to complain further about men, and violence?

The funny thing is with everyone arguing I don’t think anyone disagrees with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Honestly? Never. It’s happened since time immemorial and will continue until the end of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

A badly reared 13 year old there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Utterly fascinating the sudden interest in violent attacks , I'd like to know when and end of the hysteria will come.

There are sadly , numerous violent attacks daily in Ireland and barely a whisper about it until very recently.

It's shocking of course and nothing new, I don't have or pretend to have the answers but enough of the Hystera already. There was more commentary on social media yesterday about the color and accent of a suspect than the actual victim of one attack and it speaks volumes on the sincerity of most commentary.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Top of the chain for suicide, homelessness, murder, violent assault, death in work, depression. Top of the world Ma!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

The 'civilised man'/'scumbag' dichotomy is very simplistic and misguided.

In these times of righteousness and equality isn’t it sexist to view women as more vulnerable. What would happen if AGS or the Irish army or any company in Ireland had a hiring policy of men only, as women are more “vulnerable”??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Well played "New Poster".

You got the utter sh!theap of a thread you were fishing for.

How many reports do you read of females violently attacking males in the press every week? One, in recent memory. I can't remember the last one before that. That makes it newsworthy.

Whereas males attacking other males is so commonplace now, that it's not seen as worthy of reporting. The male victims of those attacks are no less deserving of sympathy, its just not seen as newsworthy.

It shouldn't need to be said that NO ONE should be attacked when going about their business.

However, males attacking others (both males and females) appears to be increasing.

Instead of making it a gender war about whose cases are more deserving of press reports, lets concentrate on the issue that violent attacks seem to be occurring with greater frequency, and it needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A thirteen year old attacking a women and causing serious injury isn't normal, if an attack can ever be normal. The little **** will no doubt go on to bigger and better things if not caught.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

@[Deleted User] i know you didn't mention consent. The point I am making is that any sort of "education" of that ilk, whether it be consent training, anti-violence training to teens or their parents, or any other sort, is not going to lodge with the target audience you need to get through to, because they are either not interested or incapable of taking it in.

Can you honestly imagine taking 10 scobie tracksuited teenagers into a room and preaching to them how they should respect people and not harass or assault them on the street? They'd laugh at you and probably throw a chair at you just to prove to you that they couldn't give a flying fuk about you, your opinion, basic respect, or anything else.

What is also nonsense is more Gardai. Aisling, the girl in Kilkenny, or the girl in Cork would still likely have been attacked if there were twice the number of gardai in the force. Unless you have a Garda at every street corner and every canal tow path and every off-road footpath, then it makes no difference because these bastards don't give a crap about the Gardai and know that they will get away with nearly most things short of a life murder.

What is the answer? I don't know. Show me someone who does have the answer then?

I'm thinking sentences should be increased and it might help some small bit, but that does nothing to curb those who are mentally deranged to do what they do because the have no empathy and are impulsive and can't help themselves.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

The 13 year old is particularly disturbing. You’d have to wonder what men as a whole could possibly do to stop the likes of that. Where are his parents in all of this is the obvious question? If my son had done something like this at that age, or any age for that matter I’d have been horrified.

• Advertisement

There are a small but sizeable amount of feral scum who are a cancer on society. You don’t get rid of a cancer by trying to placate them. You aggressively destroy it. Chemo doesn’t give cancer “more facilities” or “prizes for good behaviour” to make it go away. It pulverises it.

Ireland needs the legal system changed to pulverise these feral scum. Lock them up for a long as is legally possible under UNHRC rules in prisons that just reach the benchmark for human rights, and keep doing this as long as they commit these crimes. No more money wasted trying to placate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Great news !! Hopefully those numbers go up a bit so the streets will be safer! Right guys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,489 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Am I right that these Kind of things have always been happening but it's just 'popular' and fashionable for the media to be reporting it?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭archfi

An outpouring? Are you conflating Twitter hell to real life?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I'm not too comfortable with the "what about men" attitude, but I'm equally uncomfortable with "women are victims" mentality.

It does seem every **** topic is crazy polarising at the moment.

No right minded person should see this news and immediately think anything but " what a **** disgrace, I hope justice is done" instead of "let's do a man Vs woman thread".

Violence against anyone is terrible.

i know you didn't mention consent. The point I am making is that any sort of "education" of that ilk, whether it be consent training, anti-violence training to teens or their parents, or any other sort, is not going to lodge with the target audience you need to get through to, because they are either not interested or incapable of taking it in.

The only thing that will affect people with such firm/established beliefs that they could commit such a crime, is prison time, and rehabilitation (although rehab isn't particularly effective). My point about education was more about getting to them before such beliefs are formed/established, hence the reference to better parenting.

Can you honestly imagine taking 10 scobie tracksuited teenagers into a room and preaching to them how they should respect people and not harass or assault them on the street? They'd laugh at you and probably throw a chair at you just to prove to you that they couldn't give a flying fuk about you, your opinion, basic respect, or anything else.

I've been a teacher... I have a fair idea what it would be like. People don't commit crimes, both because of general morality, and the consequences of committing that crime will destroy their lives/future. Most people are afraid of getting a criminal record because of what it will do their lives. Education plays a part in educating young people to understand the risks involved in such behaviour... however that education needs to be backed up with the threat of punishment for breaking those laws, and that punishment should be enforced properly.

What is also nonsense is more Gardai. Aisling, the girl in Kilkenny, or the girl in Cork would still likely have been attacked if there were twice the number of gardai in the force. Unless you have a Garda at every street corner and every canal tow path and every off-road footpath, then it makes no difference because these bastards don't give a crap about the Gardai and know that they will get away with nearly most things short of a life murder.

Agreed.

What is the answer? I don't know. Show me someone who does have the answer then?

That's the point though. For the last few weeks, all I've seen/heard from media reports is bitching and moaning about the state of Ireland, and that "men" or Male culture are somehow responsible for it all. Loads of vague statements that are never called up on, and checked for relevance, with most of the media encouraging the narrative. It's no different on boards, with the thrust of the discussions being that "men must do more", so while men are being held collectively responsible for how a minority behave, there's little to no interest in expressly stating what men should do, except in the most fantastical/impractical applications in society..

That's why I asked you for some answers, because this thread and your OP was more of the same. An invitation for posters to complain about men in Ireland, without any direction towards actually changing anything.

I'm thinking sentences should be increased and it might help some small bit, but that does nothing to curb those who are mentally deranged to do what they do because the have no empathy and are impulsive and can't help themselves.

Ensure that those with violent mental illnesses are not treated differently. Ensure that anyone who commits a violent crime serves their full sentence, and should they repeat their crimes, face a higher bracket of sentencing, with no chance for appeal. Let punishment be punishment.. and if needs be, put people who refuse to conform to social norms on violence, be put away for life.

Thanks. You provided some suggestions, and that's an improvement over many of the other threads... but I'd like to see more of that, rather than the pointless bitching sessions that have been going on recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So why don't you, or the rest of the heavy contributors on this forum start threads with an intent to discuss those real issues in a meaningful way?

The vast majority of times those issues are mentioned on here, are when they are being used to undermine/negate a topic being discussed in a way that is perceived to be supportive towards women/minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The media and the senselessly adversarial politics in at the moment have a big part to play in it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think there should be some sort of National service when people turn 18. Choices are go to college, get a job or some sort of apprenticeship, otherwise two years of National service. It should involve hard work and strict supervision to create useful citizens. Turning 18 and then just doing nothing with your life should be illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement