Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You haven’t helped either credanlady as you have come out with some real clangers.

Regarding women in the workplace or wherever making bawdy jokes or passing comments on delivery boys or male co-workers, it is too simplistic to say that it is in the same league as the same from a few men about a female worker. It just isn't like that, even though the exact same actions are being made. The dynamic of the situation just totally different.

Except, it's not. Harassment remains the same regardless of who is doing it.. or at least, that should be the case. In addition, the reason that women's rights groups sough changes in employment, was due to the power difference in traditional environments, where traditionally men held a greater degree of power in terms of authority, and position. That difference in power allowed some men to abuse their positions, pressuring women, and elevating the women who played ball. We got a wide range of laws to combat that, and nowadays power/authority is more widely distributed both due to those laws, but also the increased numbers of women in positions of authority. However, that means that women are just as susceptible to exercise that power in pressuring other women, and men, just the same as men did in the past.

The dynamic is not totally different, unless you're ignoring the actual dynamics at play in work environments.

If men were passing comment and being bawdy towards a young female colleague, apart from being annoyed and offended, she would be justified in being worried that it could escalate, at that moment or in the longer term, to full on abuse or rape.

Sexual harassment in the workplace rarely extends into rape. The statistics and research on workplace behaviour don't support your claims. Sexual harassment is not the same as rape... and women would not be justified in believing that comments from a male worker could translate into rape, or sexual abuse. It just doesn't happen enough for that kind of assumption to be made.

You want to create a society of fear... unjustified fear... and that's really messed up.

A few middle aged women making bawdy comments towards a young male colleague, while annoying and possibly offensive, realistically the young fella doesn't have to worry about being last to leave in the evening in case one or more middle aged women commits the physically impossible act of rapin him in a dark corner of the car park or the store room.

The danger remains the same. Not the rape comment since that's highly unlikely for any gender. The problem is that it makes people uncomfortable because they can't make the others stop.. if they don't want to. I just love that your group of women might possibly be considered offensive, but a group of males doing the same is automatically dangerous.

Your blatant double standards are rather sickening TBH.

That is the difference and why one is more serious than the other. The potential for escalation and serious harm is immeasurably greater when it is male on female. With female on male, it would be almost unheard of for it to progress beyond an annoyance for the male concerned. The power dynamic is just totally different between the two situations.

How about unwanted advances being used to blackmail the male, by threatening to tell his wife, or boss? The fear of being accused of sexual harassment, or even rape, is very real for men. Which is why so many male managers refuse to be alone with female staff, and women have started complaining that they can't get mentors to help them. You keep talking about the power dynamic, but you're firmly fixated on the possibility of violence or rape, but you're unwilling to see beyond that. Women have so much actual power in the Western world today.

But it is understandable that there is a double standard there - one situation is likely to cause far more fear, and has potential for escalation and serious harm and the other situation simply does not.

Rubbish. Easily one of the worst posts I've seen in years. Well done. You've embraced hardline feminism, and joined the crazies with their fear of all men, and assertions that all men are rapists.

No I remember my own posts.

My main gripe was that someone was asking for any unsolicited compliment to be illegal.

This is a ridiculous and unenforceable suggestion and would be tantamount to agreeing that absolutely anything said to a woman you didn't know has the possibility to be illegal depending on whether the woman found it offensive, whether she found the man attractive or whether she was in a bad mood.

I stand by my assertion that it should not be illegal to compliment someone you don't know.

But please, feel free to bang your head against a brick wall. Harder if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

To be honest I have to admit on the basis of this post and the previous post, I dont particularly like your attitude. Lets tackle this from the start. The alleged decline in morals in society was always existent since the days that men and women developed the ability to cognitively think. Inciting violence is statistically a man against a woman scenario. However the root causes are not confined to one particular gender, the root cause is why these people never sense empathy or sympathy or have internal regulation of any moral standard yet attack at will. There is this complex that exists in Ireland and the UK where we scream 'patriarchy patriarchy', thats true to a limited extent, men reared see women as being objects rather than people. Attributable wholly though on a bigger level is society churns out these people, sends them to prison and they come out worse.

I dont tend to take much cognisance of your opinions as they appear to be inflammatory for the sake of it however I can half agree with you but dont think credibility is in shreds due to your comments on the homeless guy...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Having instructed the dunne to stop bickering with one poster they turn their attention to bickering with other posters

Now threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually there seems little in the way of constructive debate in this thread over the past day or so and I'm locking it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement